Premed 101 Forums

Examkrackers Audio Osmosis?

The_Doctor

Hey,

Has anyone here ever tried the EK Audio Osmosis before? I thought it was a joke at first... but now I'm wondering if it's been effective for anyone.

Used it and liked it a lot.... for certain stuff only...

Really liked the bio lectures

Chem and Orgo were ok... didn't find it all that great for physics...

Myself, I found the presenters to be absolutely unbearable. What I was looking for was basically an audio version of my books that I could use to reinforce my studying while driving, working out, etc. What I got was lame jokes and sound effects that distracted from the occasional useful info.

If you can get your hands on a copy of the CDs I would encourage you to listen to a lesson before shelling out any $$. Clearly they work for some, but not for others. :)

I should add... I used them completely as a supplement to my princeton course.... not as a primary study method....

As nerdy as it was, when I had to go to Toronto for something, or to see my family in Niagara (From London) listening to some stuff that I had already studied but maybe a few weeks back was a great refresher.

And I liked the unbelievable lame jokes haha

How do you make a hormone....

Don't pay her lol

It's good as a complement, but not a substitute for studying.

I'd get it.

I usually used it on a break from reading: when having a snack, on the drive home, before drifting off to sleep, etc. It's good for reinforcing stuff you've already studied.

Be warned, though: I often got pissed off at their lame jokes and corny sound effects (especially if you hear them over and over again when reviewing audio lectures). The guys come across as two idiots trying too hard to be cool.

The jokes seem to be the worst during the first half of the Physics section.

Wow, I really went on a rant there.

On balance, it's worth it if you can get a copy without paying somehow...(dot dot dot)

P.S.: I used The Princeton Review as my primary study source and found the TPR + EK-Audio to be a good combo.

TPR's philosophy was to give you way more detail than was probably required; on the other hand, EK-Audio just gave you the bare bones of what was needed (and omitted all other detail).

The two kind of worked well hand-in-hand.

I 2nd what pantaloons said. I used it as a supplement - mostly on the bus, walks, drifting to sleep, etc.

There were a few times when I couldn't understand something from the TPR books, I'd listen to the EK track first, and because it's a more basic presentation, it helped me understand some of the TPR stuff that I couldn't get before.

I did use the physiology tracks as my primary study source for physio - and I had never taken a physio course before so everything was new. When I got to the TPR section on physio, it was mere review.

One last thing - I also used it to make my study time more efficient. So when I did my "primary" studying with the TPR books on physics/chem for day 1, on my breaks (gym, walk/jogs, on the bus), or before bed, I'd listen to EK and learn physiology - it's not so bad because listening to EK isn't really like intense studying. Was very effective as I said before.

Yeah, I just got the EK Osmosis for relatively "cheap" (free). I find that they go through the material really really fast. But of course I haven't really begun studying for the MCAT seriously yet and so that may be a huge factor. But I find it hard to actually "learn" anything at this speed because it feels like they're just firing off facts as fast as possible while the other guy makes jokes, plays stupid, and then just says "Right!" right away. I imagine that the EK Osmosis would make for a good resource after I finish studying for the MCAT. So it's more like a review of my review.

Also, I think I'll be getting the Examkrackers books probably because I'm hoping the colourful pages and the diagrams will help with the memorization process. From what I've read, it seems that the top 3 books available in Canada in order from best to worst are Hyperlearning TPR (from the courses), Examkrackers, and then Kaplans?

I'll be getting the EK books as seperate subject textbooks rather than buying the complete book. By doing this, I don't have to lug around so much if I study anywhere outside my room and I'd be able to share. I heard TR's Verbal Reasoning is the best out of the top 3 book brands I mentioned, however, I wonder if the EK Verbal Reasoning review book is really worth getting? Since, it's not so much "review" material like the other subjects but rather a strategy. Maybe it'd be better to just get the 1001 EK Verbal Reasoning book instead? EK Osmosis spent only 4-5 minutes on the Verbal Reasoning...

Ah, okay then should I save the $15 and forgo getting the EK Verbal Reasoning book and instead just get the EK 101 Passages then?

Also is the TPR VR Diagonistic part of the package that comes with only the notorious $1500 TPR course?

I didn't purchase the EK Verbal reasoning book; however, that's where all of the EK verbal strategies are explained (though, they also talk about them in the Audiobook).

The EK101 VR Passages is just a workbook. It doesn't have any instructional material per se, just very representative practice passages to work on.

When I referred to the "TPR VR Diagnostic", I just meant the strategies TPR gives you to determine exactly where and why you're making mistakes on Verbal Passages. It's included in the TPR package.

If you're curious about my VR score, just private message me.

Personally, I wouldn't spend money on any VR book (except maybe the EK 101 Passages). But, I actually found the VR section to be relatively easy, so I didn't make use of any particular strategy or practice books (yes, I can feel your hateful eyes upon me).

I'd recommend doing one or two of the old AAMC VR tests right now, under MCAT conditions, to see where you stand (or maybe do one without a time limit, then another with). If you score well, I'd just use more AAMC tests and possibly add the EK 101 Passages if you really want the extra practice. If you find that you just can't manage a decent score at this point, maybe you should invest in one of the strategy books.

This section has the most variation between individuals, it seems, so you should feel out what's going to work for you.

Archived