Premed 101 Forums

LOR from science profs

Hackintosh

hi everyone,

i'm thinking of applying next year to american schools because my ontario app did not go so well last year. I do have a slight problem though, there are quite a bit of schools where I have a slight chance of getting accepted that require recommendations letters from atleast two science professors yet I only have one professor under whom I worked as a thesis student. Does anyone know if these schools ever make exceptions if it is requested? Has such a thing been tried by anyone here? If yes I would like your input.

I don't know for sure but I would say you need to get another one. It doesn't need to be someone you worked for. Don't you have any upper year science courses that you got a good mark and went to see the prof a few times to ask questions?? Then they would remember you.

bah.

I have another prof who taught me and I worked for but I don't think she would give me a good letter.. I don't know if I want to take that chance..this is why I asked.

If you're not a science major they won't expect you to have spectactular science LORs. Both of mine were profs who had taught me in 500+ people intro classes. One told me point blank she wouldn't be able to write anything beyond "token got an A in my class." I considered asking for exemptions, but the few schools I asked were not open to it. They all just said that they have a copy of your transcript, they know how deep your exposure was to science faculty, and will weight your non-science LORs accordingly more.

If your thesis/major was in the sciences I doubt any school would let you waive the requiremnt.

I didn't know any of my profs very well (well, I did for one but he wasn't nice!), so this is what I did: I made a list of professors that seemed very friendly and did well in their class. I then asked each if they could write a positive letter of reference for me. The two that I contacted were very receptive and wanted to talk to me for 30 mins or so to see what they could write about me. It's easier to do for american schools because you should be gathering your letters in April/early may, by then exams should be over the profs have a lot of time on their hands. In my mind, if a prof seems to want to help students in class they will want to do so out of class as well so long as you ask them politely and have the grades. You can also impress them by giving them a nice folder with CV, transcript, PS etc it shows them that you mean business.

I didn't know any of my profs very well (well, I did for one but he wasn't nice!), so this is what I did: I made a list of professors that seemed very friendly and did well in their class. I then asked each if they could write a positive letter of reference for me. The two that I contacted were very receptive and wanted to talk to me for 30 mins or so to see what they could write about me. It's easier to do for american schools because you should be gathering your letters in April/early may, by then exams should be over the profs have a lot of time on their hands. In my mind, if a prof seems to want to help students in class they will want to do so out of class as well so long as you ask them politely and have the grades. You can also impress them by giving them a nice folder with CV, transcript, PS etc it shows them that you mean business.

+1111111111111

Archived