Premed 101 Forums

US Schools that provide financial aid/scholarship for Canadians

schnauzr

Let's try to compile a list of schools that give financial aid or scholarships to Canadians.

Although we can't apply to any more schools at this point,

I think it's important that we have this list so that we can concentrate (send letters/show interest/stalk) on schools where some financial support may be available.

Financial aid

Columbia

Dartmouth

Harvard

Vanderbilt

Yale

Scholarships

Case Western

George Washington University

Washington University in St. Louis

The stickied list has Stanford on the list, but I don't think Stanford provides any financial aid to Canadians.

There was a thread from SDN a year ago where one Canadian student got accepted to both Stanford and GWU and decided to attend GWU because he/she had gotten a full-ride scholarship there.

It also says on the Stanford website that it has no institutional funding available to foreign students.

Also, I think Vanderbilt has some limited funding for international students, according to this website.

(http://www.fiu.edu/~preprofc/International_Students_School_Policies.htm)

I got the GWU information from a SDN thread, so it's not from the most reliable source,

but I'm assuming it's most likely true.

Since they're trying to attract top students with money, I don't think it would matter whether they're US citizens or not.

Come to think of it... maybe international students would be eligible for merit-based scholarships at any school (if they are sufficiently a strong applicant)?

I don't see why not.

Anyhow, I'm more concerned about schools that give out financial aid since it is need-based as opposed to merit-based, which is how it is for most scholarships.

Cuz you know... I'm not a Token...

Let me just start over.

I feel stupid, but I just found out that the term "financial aid" includes loans, scholarships, grants, and work-study stipends.

I thought financial aid was like a bursary and that you didn't have to pay any of it back.

So I added some stuff to the pre-med wiki and here's the list again.

And if anybody's totally lost on this financial thing as I was and still am,

Columbia's financial aid handbook is a great place to start.

http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/student/finaid/pdf/MDHDBK0809forweb.pdf

Financial aid

Case Western: offers merit based scholarships ranging from half rides to full rides. International students are eligible to be considered

Columbia: An international student in the United States with an F1 or F2 student visa, with a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or with a G-series or H-series visa is not eligible for need-based student aid from federal or state sources, but may qualify for and receive need-based school loans, "alternative loans" from outside sources, and grants from funds which are not federally- or state-sponsored. International students who require an "alternative loan" will need creditworthy co-makers who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents for most loan programs. CanHELP requires Canadian co-makers only on loans of more than $25,000.

Dartmouth: provides limited institutional need based funding to international students

Duke: offers need-based institutional grants and loans to students who demonstrate financial need

Harvard: provides financial assistance based on financial need, irrespective of citizenship

Vanderbilt: International medical students may apply for institutional need-based funding by submitting the application forms, converting foreign dollars to U.S. dollars on the FAFSA to determine eligibility. Alternative private loans are available to all international students and generally require a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who is willing to be a cosigner.

Washington University: offers merit based full ride scholarships without regard to citizenship

Yale: International students will be evaluated for financial aid in the same need-based manner as U.S. citizens (with the one exception of loan sources) and are eligible for Yale School of Medicine scholarship funds as part of their financial aid award.

* References can be found on the pre-med wiki page.

I got the GWU information from a SDN thread, so it's not from the most reliable source,

but I'm assuming it's most likely true.

Since they're trying to attract top students with money, I don't think it would matter whether they're US citizens or not.

Come to think of it... maybe international students would be eligible for merit-based scholarships at any school (if they are sufficiently a strong applicant)?

I don't see why not.

Anyhow, I'm more concerned about schools that give out financial aid since it is need-based as opposed to merit-based, which is how it is for most scholarships.

Cuz you know... I'm not a Token...

you know that would be amazing. I will have to call them about my financial certificate tomorrow anyways, so I might as well ask about scholarships.

I know they mentioned some merit-based scholarships for the track program (if you need money to cover your expenses abroad, etc) but I will check for tuition scholarships.

Schnauzer, from what I understood, Duke looks at what your parents can provide based on their tax returns/FAFSA. They then take their estimated yearly cost, subtract the amount your parents can potentially provide, and give you half of it as an institutional loan, and the other half as a bursary to cover it. If you need more (parents cannot provide as much, you go above the limit), you rely on private banks. This policy is the same for both Canadian and American students, except we cannot get Stafford loans if we go above the stated limit.

Financial aid

Case Western: offers merit based scholarships ranging from half rides to full rides. International students are eligible to be considered

CCLCM: Students enrolled in the College program receive a full scholarship covering tuition and fees.

Columbia: An international student in the United States with an F1 or F2 student visa, with a J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or with a G-series or H-series visa is not eligible for need-based student aid from federal or state sources, but may qualify for and receive need-based school loans, "alternative loans" from outside sources, and grants from funds which are not federally- or state-sponsored. International students who require an "alternative loan" will need creditworthy co-makers who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents for most loan programs.

Dartmouth: provides limited institutional need based funding to international students

Duke: offers need-based institutional grants and loans to students who demonstrate financial need

Harvard: provides financial assistance based on financial need, irrespective of citizenship

Mount Sinai: will be considered for merit scholarships with the general pool of applicants

Vanderbilt: International medical students may apply for institutional need-based funding by submitting the application forms, converting foreign dollars to U.S. dollars on the FAFSA to determine eligibility. Alternative private loans are available to all international students and generally require a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who is willing to be a cosigner.

Washington University: offers merit based full ride scholarships without regard to citizenship

Yale: International students will be evaluated for financial aid in the same need-based manner as U.S. citizens (with the one exception of loan sources) and are eligible for Yale School of Medicine scholarship funds as part of their financial aid award.

Financial requirement

Columbia: must present to the Office of Student Financial Planning proof that the full cost for that year has been deposited in an account in your name at a bank in New York City

Mount Sinai: either deposit in an escrow account funds to cover tuition for the four years of medical school or pre-pay his or her four years of tuition

Saint Louis University: The student must document, by a date in the manner designated by the School, that the necessary amount of funds are available to pay the costs of education (tuition and fees) for the anticipated period of enrollment, normally four years. Documentation of the required amount of financial resources will be recognized by deposit of funds in an escrow account with a bank designated by the School.

Vanderbilt: If you need a student visa (F-1 or J-1), you must be able to document that you have the financial resources to pay for (at a minimum) one year's expenses each year.

WOW!!!

I don't exactly understand what those financial requirements mean.

So they actually want to see ~$200,000 in my account?

Or is it like, I bring the Canadian student loan documents, my parents' income information, bank loan documents to show them that if I put them all together, I have enough money?

How flexible do you think the schools are with these requirements?

I don't exactly understand what those financial requirements mean.

So they actually want to see ~$200,000 in my account?

Or is it like, I bring the Canadian student loan documents, my parents' income information, bank loan documents to show them that if I put them all together, I have enough money?

How flexible do you think the schools are with these requirements?

Are you asking about Duke?

No, I was asking about the cases where they want the money upfront (like Mount Sinai and SLU).

Tuition for one year makes sense, but tuition for all four years?

That's ridiculous.

Duke seems to have an AMAZING financial support system for international students.

You wouldn't have worry a thing about the financial aspect if accepted to Duke.

I really don't want to look any further into each school's financial requirements.

It's way too depressing.

I just hope I can get into a school that doesn't ask for the whole four years' worth of tuition upfront.

Wait, what am I saying, I just hope I can get into a med school.

*sigh*

I miss the excitement of waiting for an interview date.

Archived