Premed 101 Forums

US Schools that provide financial aid/scholarship for Canadians

schnauzr

I really don't want to look any further into each school's financial requirements.

It's way too depressing.

I just hope I can get into a school that doesn't ask for the whole four years' worth of tuition upfront.

Wait, what am I saying, I just hope I can get into a med school.

*sigh*

I miss the excitement of waiting for an interview date.

You applied to Canadian schools as well no?

Well, I applied to one Canadian school.

I have my reasons...

UofT - don't want to go to the same school for eight years

Ottawa - don't meet GPA cutoff

Western, McMaster - ugly cities, or so I hear

I wish I had applied to Queen's though - I hear Kingston is a very quaint town.

McGill - the bulk of the student body right from high school (not that they're not qualified or anything - but I'm just outraged that they expect so much from OOP students compared to IP students - I think I'd be a little annoyed to go through such a competitive process only to find myself sitting in a class full of "first-years") / wouldn't be able to communicate with francophone patients

Calgary - do not meet the GPA/MCAT combination cutoff for an interview

Alberta - actually Alberta sounded really good but I just felt too lazy to fill out another application from scratch

the rest of the schools - I just didn't think about it too much.

So I have my reasons... or rather, I had my reasons.

They seem a little unreasonable at this point, but I did apply to UBC - so hopefully, I'll hear back from them.

I'm quite the opposite actually lol, I applied to all the schools you stated (minus mcgill..) except UBC. I didn't have that much of a passion there in the first place, and my relatives and friends there (who are competitive applicants marks wise) were all turned away, so it didn't motivate me enough to apply there.

I had the same feelings when I was filling out the applications and submitting all the essay responses for them though. Like Calgary I knew I was slightly off (I got rejected btw..), and the sketch was really a turn-off by the sheer details I had to put in, at one point I really decided not to apply there, when the next day I woke up I changed my mind and completed it half-heartedly.

Just the opposite, huh? Weird, lol.

My friend, who had almost the same stats and the amount of EC's as me, had gotten an interview at UBC, so I thought I might as well try.

Also, UBC only asks for reference letters when they give out ther interview invite.

And also, UBC had the earliest deadline - it was due way back in early September when I still had the energy and motivation.

Yeah, I think it really shows when you don't take the time to do your application.

Some of the secondaries I've sent in are just so generic

and they just feel like, yeah... your school is alright ... I could live with that...

Archived