Premed 101 Forums

getting a loan/line of credit in this economic climate

Guest copacetic

Guest copacetic

i just got into a school state side, now i gotta worry about how to pay for it. ill have to get more than one line of credit to do this. for starters there is the international student loans company in the state that will offer 40K a year, but im gonna need 70 per year total (includes living expenses). i know osap gives 10K per year, so that leaves me short 20K per year. any suggestions/ ideas? how are you guys paying for this stuff?

I know the economy is bad, but I just don't see why the banks wouldn't give you money. Given that a Physician's salary is one of the most elastic incomes relative to the wanes and waxes of the economy, you are probably a better investment than most things at this point. When I talked to my bank they said it wouldn't be a big issue, but who knows.

Not "me", my dad, who has excellent relations with HSBC bank because he has been with them for his own business for a long time now and got to know the managers personally. I can not distinguish whether or not they said that based on simply that my dad is credible enough for the loan vs the nature of the investment (my future) is credible in itself.

I found this out because (and indeed you need the financial certificate for GW! they need to know before they even review your file.) I think my US stats have been posted all over here several times but I'm at 34R, 3.87 ( I know you asked about this).

Guest copacetic
Not "me", my dad, who has excellent relations with HSBC bank because he has been with them for his own business for a long time now and got to know the managers personally. I can not distinguish whether or not they said that based on simply that my dad is credible enough for the loan vs the nature of the investment (my future) is credible in itself.

I found this out because (and indeed you need the financial certificate for GW! they need to know before they even review your file.) I think my US stats have been posted all over here several times but I'm at 34R, 3.87 ( I know you asked about this).

are you serious GWU wont even look at my file post interview until i get a bank letter?

Guest copacetic

pm message me as soon as you find out. when i called them a couple weeks ago, the lady on the phone didnt really give me a straight answer! she just said get it to us whenever/as soon as you can.

Dear Alastriss

Thanks for your message. At this time, you are still waiting to be reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Please submit your Financial Certificate as soon as possible. It still should only be the 6-8 weeks from your interview that you'll receive notice of a decision.

This is what I got.

Hopefully we will be getting some good news soon!

Archived