Premed 101 Forums

M.D./M.Div

Ehudz

I remember researching this joint-program at a specific American university, but I've long-forgotten which one it was. I'm also wondering which American (or even Canadian...if there are any) universities offer this program.

I was wondering if anybody could relate me to some more info. Thanks!

I remember researching this joint-program at a specific American university, but I've long-forgotten which one it was. I'm also wondering which American (or even Canadian...if there are any) universities offer this program.

I was wondering if anybody could relate me to some more info. Thanks!

Think about the ethical implications of being a pastor and a doctor at the same time! I think your clinical work be severely impacted by your religious beliefs. For example, you may be a pastor who constantly preaches anti-abortion, but on the other hand, as an obstetrician, for example, you may be strongly supporting abortion. Imagine the dilemma of deciding what to do! Would religion take precedence over your clinical knowledge, or vice versa?

Getting an M.Div doesn't necessarily mean one is religious. It may mean they are interested in theology or researching the historical/cultural basis for one of any number of world religions.

And regardless, many (surprisingly many) physicians are quite religious and make fine physicians.

Think about the ethical implications of being a pastor and a doctor at the same time! I think your clinical work be severely impacted by your religious beliefs. For example, you may be a pastor who constantly preaches anti-abortion, but on the other hand, as an obstetrician, for example, you may be strongly supporting abortion. Imagine the dilemma of deciding what to do! Would religion take precedence over your clinical knowledge, or vice versa?

One doesn't need a religion to hold a belief. If anything, religion helps to strengthen the moral and ethical attitude of the believer. Even Hippocrates himself had a couple Gods to look up to.

I am a Christian, but that would say nothing about my impartiality towards patients. Patients are all human. Each and every single one has a medical need and seeks my medical expertise, and I'll give them just that. I would respect my patients and their beliefs, hoping that they realize that respect is a two-way street. If I am asked to give a treatment that is not on par with my morals, I would gladly suggest alternate treatments or refer the patient(s) to another doctor who would better serve their needs. I would not do anything that would cause our beliefs to clash, and I, above all, would not force my beliefs on others.

Of course religion impacts my work. It has been and will continue to. I'm interested in studying the joint program to better understand medicine's role in my specific religion and the religion of others, and the specific relationship between the two.

Archived