Premed 101 Forums

Question about the special year

If I am doing a special year (non-degree year) according to UWO, but I am not doing it for GPA purposes (ie I already at least 2 years from my BSc above 3.7) Do I need to still take courses for which a prerequisite is required?

Or will those rules only apply if I want it to count for GPA purposes?

• 2 weeks later...
You only need to be concerned about the Special Year requirements if you need your Special Year to count as one of your two years considered. If not, you can take whatever and how many courses you'd like.

Elaine

Do you have a reference for this? I need my special year to count, and want to have 11 courses, but only 10 count toward the GPA calculation.

Do you have a reference for this? I need my special year to count, and want to have 11 courses, but only 10 count toward the GPA calculation.

The special year is identical to the regular years, except the courses you can take are somewhat more restricted. If you are very concerned about having an official response, email admissions.

The special year is identical to the regular years, except the courses you can take are somewhat more restricted. If you are very concerned about having an official response, email admissions.

Sir, can you confirm this. The reason why I post is that the admissions department tends to ignore emails. :(

It would be great if for instance, I took 11 courses, over 2 semesters, like this:

Semester I

A-

A-

A

C

A

Semester II

A

A

A+

B+

A

A+

The rule for a regular school year is:

If you take more than 5 full courses, then the best 5 count. So for instance, if I took 5.5 courses (which is shown above), does that mean the top 5 full courses will be taken into consideration? In this case, the nasty "C" would be eliminated, and not the B+.

This is a big difference.

3.82 versus 3.69

honestly, i think they would drop your C...but I'm not entirely sure...did you post this in some other thread?

note: it also depends on what courses you took...it must be an upper year course...and the course needs some sort of pre-requisite...

note: admissions may be hectic now? probably till june? haha...if you are from the area, I would walk in if I were you....if not...send an e-mail with an appropriate title "urgent" (might be too much) but "important" might be right...

I'm pretty sure they count ALL your courses in your two best years, (i.e. not just your top 5 full-course equivalents). I took 6.5 full-course equivalents in my first year (one of my best two years) and admissions said they would NOT drop my lowest 1.5 courses when calculating the year's GPA.

I'm pretty sure they count ALL your courses in your two best years, (i.e. not just your top 5 full-course equivalents). I took 6.5 full-course equivalents in my first year (one of my best two years) and admissions said they would NOT drop my lowest 1.5 courses when calculating the year's GPA.

Could you take a screenshot of the email confirming this? Dropping the lowest 1.5 FCE would be a good benefit to most people applying.

:)

Thanks!!!

Western only counts your top 5.0 courses in a given year. The course(s) dropped is/are your lowest, regardless of which semester it/they is/are taken in. The one restriction is if a different course does not meet the requirements of the special year, in which case the course not meeting the requirements is dropped (eg: repeated course, first year course, more than 1.0 second year courses).

Elaine

Western only counts your top 5.0 courses in a given year. The course(s) dropped is/are your lowest, regardless of which semester it/they is/are taken in. The one restriction is if a different course does not meet the requirements of the special year, in which case the course not meeting the requirements is dropped (eg: repeated course, first year course, more than 1.0 second year courses).

Elaine

No, Western will not allow second-year courses, unless they have a first-year prerequisite.

Archived