Premed 101 Forums

Prep course or study on own?

hraklis_1

Hi everybody,

I've been thinking over this question for a while now, and still unsure of what I should do. Is the $1700+ price tag of TRP prep course really worth it? Or would I be doing myself a favour by just buying the study material and studying for the MCAT by myself.

I feel as if I have the discipline to study the material every day, and I don't mind purchasing the extra AAMC tests for practise. Is the stuff that they tell you during TRP classtime really that valuable? To tell you the truth, I'm not even sure what they go over during the classtime (would anyone who's taken TPR expand on this). My one only problem with studying by myself would be where to start. There's so much material, I'm a bit unsure of how to plan out my weeks according to what I should study and for how much time.

In summary, I would prefer to just study by myself, but I also want to get the best possible mark that I can get on the MCAT. Would it then be wise for me to take a prep course? Any oppinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time

I tried studying on my own last summer (while doing 15-20 hrs a week volunteering + full time lab research--usually 55-60 hrs/week) and it was a total disastor, so I didn't write the exam. This summer i'm not going to work and I have signed up for TPR.

I think, from what I have heard from nearly everyone, it comes down to a personal preference. Do you work better in a more rigid, classroom setting? Or are you the type who skips classes, reads the textbooks only and take the tests? Personally, I know myself and know I do better with a teacher + classroom, but I know plenty of people who took the class and did poorly OR people who studied on their own and did awesome. And vice versa.

Basically, it's up to you. I think taking a class can only help, but it may not benefit that much. We'll see, haha.

It does come down to personal discipline to some extent, but personally I'm a huge procrastinator and one to show up to all the lectures, I like to have a professor teach me, etc... but I took the MCAT without any of the review courses.

If you're taking the MCAT after 2nd year, you should be well prepared already or at least have all of the necessary background. Buy a book and study through it, but the most you will get out of your studying will be when you do the practice tests, official or otherwise. I started off with the ones that came with my book, then moved on to buying the AAMC ones. THE ONLY advantage I see from taking a prep course is that there's apparently some "formula" for the Writing Sample that they will explain to you and teach you how to use. Other than that, I believe most of the people teaching you will be 1st year med students or people who wrote the MCAT and did well on it. Discipline yourself then take a $1700 holiday (or maybe a $1500 holiday since you'll likely spend around 200 for books/tests etc...)

What did I do? Volunteered throughout the summer, and 'planned' on doing a few pages of studying a day. In the end, I wasted 1-2 months JUST on the physical science section (no not because I sucked at it, but because I'm a procrastinator). I then really buckled down for the last month, went through the book, then did 3 practice tests that came with the book (write them as a fully timed MCAT; proper breaks, no extra time etc...) Then review your mistakes the next day. Rinse and repeat with as many tests as you can fit in. I ended up doing at most 3-4 AAMC exams (+ the joke one they give you for free). 10 10 13 Q first try.

I think the courses are ripoffs, and they prey on your insecurity.

Good Luck!

I think the courses are ripoffs, and they prey on your insecurity.

I think that this is quite true. Even with people who do their best learning in a classroom environment you have to remember that this is material you've already been taught and tested on. I would imagine your prof didn't study with your for your midterms and finals, same here.

That said for many people the "safety blanket" may be worth the $1500...

i feel that if i pay for a course then it would be like fooling mysel ito thinking that just because i am buying my own time i might do better.. so i have decided to study on my own and will be attempting the MCATs this summer.. i'll let you know how THAT goes.

I totally struggled with the same question before writing the MCAT. I have a good friend that wrote the year before me. She took an expensive Kaplan course and got a 32 - R I think, or maybe Q? I didn't take a course and just studied on my own, and also got a 32. Why I am telling you this boring story? Just to say "different strokes for different folks." If you are a self-starter and motivated to study your ass off on your own, then do it. If you need the push of going to a class every day, then take the course. Either way, good luck, and practice, practice, practice. :) I truly believe that practicing until you're blue in the face is better prep than anything else!

dudes

i didnt take a course, but just went crazy on books (Kaplan, Princeton, McGraw-Hill) price tag on a few books is much less than the course

didnt work much during summer, no school, some volunteering, but mostly just studied a whole lot

first test July 8 - 31S

second test sept 13- 36T

i had just taken physics and organic chem just before the MCAT which helped alot

I would say if you can stay motivated and dedicate lots of time to study, then avoid the course, aim to take MCAT 2x (second time is much more relaxed), and do as many practice tests as possible

but mostly, find out what is best for you, because im no expert

Hey there, I think that taking the prep courses is kind of a personal choice, but there are a few things that you should remember. The courses aren't always taught by "experts", but by people (like medical students) who did well on the MCAT before. They are trained, yes, but still, its kind of an expensive study buddy. Next, ask yourself how well you remember the MCAT test material from your university courses, will you just need a refresher, or did you barely grasp the concepts while in the courses?

The only great thing that the courses provide you is 1) feedback on your essays, and 2) access to CBT practice tests... but if you are a good writer, and you don't mind paying for the AAMC tests (which I highly recommend) then I wouldn't bother.

I self studied for two months, and I got a 37R. I know some people that took the course, and their scores range from 29-36, but the people on the higher end did better in school in general, so the course may have little to do with their success. If you know anyone that took the courses offered, see if you can borrow their study outline to help you plan your own studying, invest in some awesome prep books (Kaplan, Examkrakers, Princeton Review) and write the AAMC tests. As long as you are determined, you'll be fine. If you need someone to yell at you to get you to study, then I guess the courses would be a good idea, but that's why its a personal choice. Just make sure you really investigate all that's offered in the course so you know what you are paying for, and what you're not.

The first time I wrote the MCAT I took a course and found that I got wrapped up in the course and started preparing for the course rather than keeping the end goal in mind. I ended up studying like it was just another course the first time around....NOT a good idea!

The second round, I studied on my own and I had a better grip on the material having taken all of the required courses, so the course wasn't so necessary the next summer. I found that going over the material and then doing practice tests until I no longer wanted to look at another multiple choice on the computer really helped.

Although my scores weren't stellar, I got into an American school and am hopeful for some love from Canadian schools this spring.

That's my $0.02 worth...

Archived