B

Semester II (Six Courses)

A+

A-

B+

A

A

A-

How can I calculate my GPA? Can I use only the top 10 courses. or do I need to use all 11? I don't know if the best 10 rule applies to special students.

N.B.:I chose to take six courses in the second semester, but was NOT REQUIRED too.

I'm not sure if aclementine missed your B in first semester or not, but that should be the dropped course. The overload rule applies to special year students, definitely. The only problem you could face is if one of your 11 courses wasn't "allowed" under the special year rules (i.e. a first year course, a second year course without a first year prerequisite, a repeat course, etc.) Then I imagine that course would have to be excluded and the other 10 courses would be used.

I'm not sure if aclementine missed your B in first semester or not, but that should be the dropped course. The overload rule applies to special year students, definitely. The only problem you could face is if one of your 11 courses wasn't "allowed" under the special year rules (i.e. a first year course, a second year course without a first year prerequisite, a repeat course, etc.) Then I imagine that course would have to be excluded and the other 10 courses would be used.

I read your other post too. Thanks.

This seems like legitimate information. This was more what I was thinking.

Logically, it seems that if you overload one semester, the deduction should come from the overloaded semester. I agree to some extent, but the rule set out by Western shows that the BEST 5 FULL or equivalent will be taken. This situation is 5.5 FULL or equivalent, and so only the highest 5 FULL should be taken. And so the 'B' should be dropped.

Your lowest course over the 8 months will be dropped, regardless which term you took the course in. Courses are separated by term on your OMSAS application. Thus, Western will not know which courses were taken each term. Even if they were to find out some how, they don't care. They consider Sept to Apr one academic year.

Elaine

An important, but related question. Applicants are only allowed to take more than 5 FCE if they are required to do so by their program.

In a special year, I wouldn't be required to, but just wanted to because I messed up on one single course. Would I not be allowed to take 5.5 FCE in my special year?

you would have to ask for special permission...from the registrar or department of your shool

That is not the issue.

I can easily sign up for more.

It is an issue of being FORCED to take more, or CHOOSING to take more.

UWO states that if you are FORCED to take more, then they will take the best FIVE.

They never said anything about CHOOSING to increase the course load to get a better grade.

That is not the issue.

I can easily sign up for more.

It is an issue of being FORCED to take more, or CHOOSING to take more.

UWO states that if you are FORCED to take more, then they will take the best FIVE.

They never said anything about CHOOSING to increase the course load to get a better grade.

I took more than 5.0 courses (by choice, not due to program requirements), and only my top 5.0 courses counted toward my GPA.

Elaine

What if your lowest mark was in a full-year course? Does it only count towards half a credit....or is it your lowest half-credit mark that is dropped?

It is your lowest Full-Course, or Full-Course Equivalent (FCE) that is dropped, provided that you have taken 6.0 Full-courses or FCE's.

If you have taken 5.5 FCE, they cannot reasonably drop the FCE, as it makes the calculation unfair. It would have to be the lowest half credit.

Archived