Premed 101 Forums

US Timeline question

Rach I would go or the June 18th date. If you can have everything submitted by July 18th, you will be marked complete by the end of July. That is still early. Some schools don't release their secondaries until mid-late july anyways, and the earliest schools to review are the ones that start end of july.

If you want to discuss this further PM me.

If the schools start to review at the end of July, then would writing the July 2nd MCAT and having scores released August 4th be too late if everything else was in before that time? Also, just to clarify, does AMSAS only need your transcripts to verify your application, then they send it to the schools who then send you the secondaries? Also assuming LORs are in before MCAT scores and the MCAT scores are released August 4th, would it be unreasonable for my application to be complete a week or two after the MCAT scores are in? (so mid-August)

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to the US application stuff. Thanks :)

If the schools start to review at the end of July, then would writing the July 2nd MCAT and having scores released August 4th be too late if everything else was in before that time? Also, just to clarify, does AMSAS only need your transcripts to verify your application, then they send it to the schools who then send you the secondaries? Also assuming LORs are in before MCAT scores and the MCAT scores are released August 4th, would it be unreasonable for my application to be complete a week or two after the MCAT scores are in? (so mid-August)

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to the US application stuff. Thanks :)

Just because your file isnt the first reviewed out of 5000 applicants that doesn't mean you are too late. And I said few schools review end of july, hell some schools don't release their secondary until then.

If you want to be early don't take the mcat after mid july. If you do, then you won't be super early, but you would be closer to early than late.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I am writing my MCAT in August. So just to think about my application timeline:

- I apply to US medical schools (primary applications) in early June.

- My primary applications get verified and I receive secondary applications over June and July.

- I submit my secondary applications (over July and August).

- I write my MCAT in August and my score is released in September.

- At this point, my application is complete and adcoms will be able to review my file. I hear back from the schools that I applied to.

Is this correct?

Thanks!

Yes that's right. However I think you would be in much better shape if you took the MCAT in July, so you would be complete in August. September is getting to be borderline late.

Also the time spent waiting for your MCAT scores would be a waste in a way. Instead of writing your secondaries while you're studying for the MCAT, take it in July and then work on secondaries while you're waiting for your score.

hth!

Archived