Premed 101 Forums

Timeline for Canadian Medical Students in the US

THX

There doesn't appear to be much information regarding what Canadian students should do prior to beginning medical school in the United States. I was hoping those who are already in the states could help with the following:

1) When should one look into getting a student visa?

2) I think the Banking situation is confusing - we need to secure a Canadian LOC for the United States. Can we get a LOC in US dollars or are we going to get hit by the crappy conversion rate banks offer every time we move money around? I guess we also need to open a bank account in the united states if we want access to ATMs.

I've been trying to figure out the visa business too. One of my schools e-mailed me a few weeks after acceptance with visa information. Since the med schools only have a handful of international students, it goes through the main university's international students office. So you could call them.

This school said it would take abuot a week for them to give you an I-20, and the time for the F-1 varies. Here's some more info about it: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

What I'm wondering is whether we can ask for the I-20 before we've decided what school we're attending. I'm like 99% sure, but I don't want to lock myself in.

At any rate, it shouldn't take that long to process...my sister who went to school in the states said she didn't even start until mid-summer.

hello,

1) you will most likely be on an f-1 visa...pretty easy to get...the school sorts out the visa application for you, and sends you the paperwork...you have to go online and pay a SEVIS fee, and take the receipt with you and the paperwork to the border when you cross...you can only do this within 30 (?) days of the start date on the visa...so you can make a border run before you actually move to school, or do you do it when you move there (plane or drive across)...and then when you get to school, you have to get your registrar to sign the papers...and whenever you go in and out of the USA, you need your passport and visa

more info: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

pay fee here: https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/

2) The only way you can get any type of loan in the states is if you are a resident or have a co-signer...I didnt have any family in the states or a co-signer, so i had to get a LOC here in canada...you go and apply for the LOC once you get the acceptance letter...the interest rates for a professional student LOC are pretty standard if you go to RBC...usually prime for the duration you are in school plus a gap year, and then you start paying principle back after that...and yes, it sucks that you get hit by the currency conversion....but if you do your residency in the states, you will be making more than you would in canada....

3) you would need to open a bank account when you get into the US...you wont be able to get a credit card though (no SSN)...

4) as canadians we dont need to worry about the FAFSA...but depending on your school, you might need to provide some form of proof that you can afford school....LOC documentation, some document saying how much your home is worth, etc...

hit me up if you have any more questions..

good luck!

Archived