Premed 101 Forums

Low GPA - Advice for '10

MUMM10

Need some help - do I have a realistic shot anywhere? I need some advice on where to apply in the US for '10.

Canadian Applicant

Queen's Life Sciences

GPA: AMCAS cGPA of 2.91 :( but an upward trend:

4th - 4.00

3rd - 3.27

2nd - 2.56

1st - 2.00

MCAT:34Q (11/10/13)

With very strong ECs and research, but not many university awards (as you can probably imagine).

Help is greatly appreciated - I tried looking through similar threads but I figure this is the best way for some good advice. I don't want to go too far but I know I'm not in the position to be picky. My thoughts on schools:

SUNY Upstate

Wayne State

University of Buffalo

etc.

I'd like to give you good news MUMM10, but I don't think I can. 2.91 is too low for US Applicants and will be too low for Canadian applicants in the united states. I think you should be considering other options, like Australia or potentially the DO route. You did very well on your MCAT, so you definitely have a shot at those two paths.

Good luck.

Don't graduate!!

Take a fifth year and get 4.0 in it. Then, you will have a good shot at Uo, Western, Queens and maybe UT.

I have to be honest in that it looks like you have little chance at the US because they really only care about your cGPA and science. No weighting formulas like here. You could always do a 2nd degree, but that is really only an option if you get rejected by Canada again after fifth year.

I'm curious how you were allowed to stay in life sci with such low marks in your first few years, though?

If med school is what you really want, then start another degree and nail it this time.

The fact that you scored a 34 on your MCAT means that you have the ability to do well. Unfortunately, that GPA will close many doors.

Of course, you could spend hundreds of dollars applying in 14 different countries hoping that someone would accept you, but the bottom line is you will be biased against because of that GPA. Many schools who would otherwise admit you will end up throwing your app to the bottom of the pile because they do an initial screen of the numbers.

So my advice is, if med is urgent for you - then yes, apply carib, australia etc.

If you are set on studying in Canada - start fresh in a new undergrad and make sure you ace it.

Archived