Premed 101 Forums

ADvice would be appreciated =)

moppy

hey guys...

sorry about another advice thread but I would really appreciate your opinions.

My question is basically, what you think my chances are at getting accepted to a US med school as a Canadian citizen (from a well known school).

Considering my stats, I don't think I have a chance at canadian schools

undergrad cGPA- 3.58

Upward trend.

1st: 3.42;

2nd: 3.54

3rd 3.57

4th: 3.77

MSc GPA-3.9

Have one paper (not first author)

Will be finishing MSc this year and am trying to decide what to do after.

I have a lot of Extra-curriculars..

The reason my undergrad cGPA is so low is b/c I was going through a very difficult situation at the time and rather than taking time off I tried to persist. I'll spare you the details.

Haven't written MCAT yet, which I know is important for US.

I'd really appreciate some advice on what to do. Whether I should try to apply for med after I finish MSc. or try for some other programs?

Thanks sooo Much!

Thanks. Yes, I've tried to research this as much as possible..and trust me I have spent countless hours doing so on both this website and SDN. However, I guess I was just looking for some personalized advice since after all my research I'm getting really discouraged...although perhaps I should be. I don't know what is realistic anymore.

It's really tough to give advice without an MCAT score or at least a range.

The only thing I can say is that a 3.9 graduate GPA is a nice accomplishment but won't make up for the low undergrad GPA. Which means you would still need a 35+ to be competitive.

I know a MSc doesn't count as much In the states as it does in Canada.

So, you think I'd have a decent chance at getting accepted if I got 35+ MCAT, even with my undergrad GPA being only 3.58?

I just don't know if there is even a point in studying for the MCAT and applying...it's a lot of effort and money and if it's not realistic then it's just a waste.

Thanks for your comments.

No, a MSc doesn't count in the same way it does in the US when compared to canada. That doesn't mean its useless

A MSc can add depth to your application. You can be able to get involved in some interesting opportunities (research, practicums) that can bolster your application. However they won't give you anything for doing it. So they will not:

1) put you in a grad pool like UofT

2) give you bonus marks if you finish it like Mac

3) lower your gpa requirements if you are a grad student like at queen's.

etc.

Archived