Premed 101 Forums

confused...can someone help me?

Hello,

Random question. I plan on taking English in the summer and physics during the next school year (my 5th year).

- Will not having physics when I apply affect my ability to acquire interviews?

- Will not taking English during fall/winter terms affect my ability to acquire interviews?

Some info on me:

OMSAS

1st: 3.44

2nd: 3.62

3rd: 3.69

4th: remains to be seen

cgpa 3.65

American System

1st: 3.6

2nd: 3.8

3rd: 3.85

cgpa 3.75

Wrote MCAT once (solid in all sections except VR which was extremely weak) and will be rewriting it in early July

Where should I apply? I am utterly confused about this American system.

Not having physics during the time of application wont affect your application. As long as the course is completed before the start of medical school, it's fine.

Not taking english during fall/interview wont affect your application.

Re-writing in early july, means you wont have your scores until August? Make sure your secondaries are completed before MCAT scores are released because if you're waiting to see your scores before making a decision on applying, then it will be too late. Ideally, you should have your primary (AMCAS) application submitted in June/July and secondaries completed July/August to have a good shot.

To decide on which schools you would be competitive at - try to get a copy of the MSAR (medical school admission requirements). Its a book published by the AAMC that can be purchased from AAMC's website or amazon I believe. Your school's academic advising/career centre may also carry a copy. It has a list of all medical schools in north america with information on their programs, requirements, and admission stats.

The MSAR is released every year around April correct?

Also, how does the MCAT submission to the med schools work if I am rewriting the MCAT and I don't have the scores yet?

yes MSAR comes out around april/may - there's no harm in getting a copy thats a year old. it'll give you an idea of where you'll be competitive and then you can always visit those schools websites to get the updated info.

if you are re-writing mcat: you can complete and submit the primary (AMCAS) application. you can complete and submit the subsequent secondary applications. on your applications, it will ask when you wrote the mcat. if you are waiting for results at the time of application, medical schools WILL NOT review your application until the scores are received. you can get all the supporting documents in while you're waiting for the scores to be released, but your file will remain incomplete until they receive your new scores.

• 1 month later...
Not having physics during the time of application wont affect your application. As long as the course is completed before the start of medical school, it's fine.

Not taking english during fall/interview wont affect your application.

Re-writing in early july, means you wont have your scores until August? Make sure your secondaries are completed before MCAT scores are released because if you're waiting to see your scores before making a decision on applying, then it will be too late. Ideally, you should have your primary (AMCAS) application submitted in June/July and secondaries completed July/August to have a good shot.

To decide on which schools you would be competitive at - try to get a copy of the MSAR (medical school admission requirements). Its a book published by the AAMC that can be purchased from AAMC's website or amazon I believe. Your school's academic advising/career centre may also carry a copy. It has a list of all medical schools in north america with information on their programs, requirements, and admission stats.

Is this statement valid for ALL American med schools? Will they still accept you even if you bomb those pre-req courses during winter/summer?

Is this statement valid for ALL American med schools? Will they still accept you even if you bomb those pre-req courses during winter/summer?

I know that Harvard will not let you apply until AFTER the prereqs are completed...but the OP probably isn't too worried about that. It's best to check out the schools you want to apply to individually.

For the schools that give you provisional acceptances, yes they can rescind an offer if you fail...you should probably just not fail.

Thank you all.

I guess I have some time to fulfill those pre-reqs. before I start applying-- after all, I'm just finishing up my first year (and should be studying for chem final instead of writing this msg);)

Quick question though...would you guys recommend taking Orgo I in year 2, but taking Orgo II in year 2 summer while prepping for MCAT?:confused:

I don't think that's true at Cornell or Harvard. Even Columbia has some clause about how they will only interview people with a max of 2 courses left to complete....which is definitely not true.

I think they put that stuff on their website to cut down on the number of applications they receive.

That doesn't make sense, I'm pretty sure these types of schools want MORE applications. Doing this not only generates more more money for the school, but it also helps them to pimp their ultra low acceptance rate.

Yeah but somewhere like Harvard isn't hurting for money, nor do they need low acceptance ratios to boost their cred. IIRC Harvard actually has one of the lowest total apps of the top tiers because of self selection.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who apply there just as a lark, and it's probably a hassle for the screeners. Someone who's serious about getting into the school but is missing prereqs would just call the admissions office and they'd set them straight.

Boston U get twice as many applicants as Harvard I think, with over 10000 people applying for around 150 spots. That put Harvard's acceptance rate to shame.

Haha yeah I think they got over 13000 the year I applied. It's because of the location and easy secondary.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

Random question. I plan on taking English in the summer and physics during the next school year (my 5th year).

- Will not having physics when I apply affect my ability to acquire interviews?

- Will not taking English during fall/winter terms affect my ability to acquire interviews?

Some info on me:

OMSAS

1st: 3.44

2nd: 3.62

3rd: 3.69

cgpa 3.65

American System

1st: 3.6

2nd: 3.8

3rd: 3.85

cgpa 3.75

Wrote MCAT once (solid in all sections except VR which was extremely weak) and will be rewriting it in early July

Where should I apply? I am utterly confused about this American system.

You're fine in terms of pre-reqs. You also have a solid cGPA. Get a balanced score on the MCAT (10+ on all sections), ensure you have solid clinical experiences, write a good application and apply early and broadly - do this, and you will get in somewhere.

Archived