Premed 101 Forums

what to do now?

Premedder101

So I am stuck in a tricky situation.:confused: I got a god-forsaken 30S on my MCAT with my scores broken down as VR:9, PS:10, BS:11. Its nicely broken down, but at the same time, its right at the borderline between a good score and a mediocre score.

I want to apply to a few schools out west (U of A and U ofC) and in Ontario (Queens and Western). Queens does not have any competitive scores or cutoffs posted as they say it fluctuates each year. My GPA is around 3.6-3.7. Should I write again and aim for 33+ or should I keep it as is? This was my second time writing and my score went up 4 points.

Thanks in advance!

Word up fellow 30 S homie! (P 11 V 8 B 11)

I can completely relate to how you are feeling. It's a tough spot to be in for sure. I might be a bit biased when I say this but I wouldn't write again. What if you have a terrible day the morning of the MCAT and come out with like a 28? What are you going to say then? I improved but then I....

The only reason I'm not writing again is because I probably have a good shot IP and I've heard somewhere that the average entering MCAT for this year's class of applicants was a 27

Word up fellow 30 S homie! (P 11 V 8 B 11)

I can completely relate to how you are feeling. It's a tough spot to be in for sure. I might be a bit biased when I say this but I wouldn't write again. What if you have a terrible day the morning of the MCAT and come out with like a 28? What are you going to say then? I improved but then I....

The only reason I'm not writing again is because I probably have a good shot IP and I've heard somewhere that the average entering MCAT for this year's class of applicants was a 27

Man, I am right there with you guys, haha. i wrote a 28S my first time (10PS/8VR/10BS) and then a 31S the second time (10/10/11). I've only got a 3.65 or so GPA, which shows that I'm competent, but is far from making me stick out. I've got serious EC's (Vice President of Engineers Without Borders, 6 months shadowing, 2 years volunteer in Ped Ward and Senior Member of Canada Games Swim Team), but I'm gonna need something to make up for that GPA.

I think I might rewrite this summer. I didn't know anything at all about OCHEM the first 2 times I wrote it (I didn't even know what SN1 SN2 or E were when I saw them on the test).

OCHEM is so overrated. it's worth like 20% of 1 section. I guess in the end though that's the difference

Yeah, it's the difference between an 11 and a 13, which makes it the diff between a 31 and a 33. I've also got a much more solid background in physics now (I've done a year of engineering), so I'll smoke any electricity questions that are thrown at me. Again, that's a small component, but it may be the difference between a 10 and a 12.

Hopefully all this speculation will be null when I get my acceptance from MUN in 2 weeks, lolol.

I'll screech you in personally

I snuck into some screeching in at some pub on George Street when I went out after my interview (who knew you were supposed to pay, lol), but buddy, if you're gonna give me a free shot, I'm all for it, haha.

Archived