Premed 101 Forums

Retake the MCAT with a 30S?

Illuminis

Hello everyone, my name's Ryan and I've found this site very helpful as I lurk in the shadows, but now I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I'm a third year Genetics student at UWO and got a 30S (10/10/10) on my MCAT. I thought I did really well, but I got rejected from all 4 Ontario med schools I applied to this year (Queens/Toronto/Mcmaster/Ottawa). I guess I got kicked in the balls by reality, but a number of my third year friends have gotten multiple interviews across Canada, making me feel terrible. I don't feel like I'm much worse off in terms of marks or ECs (3.9GPA, NSERC, oversea work, volunteering, clubs, etc.) Nothing exceptional, but nothing terrible...

So I'm debating about whether to retake the MCAT, and it's become difficult since I've learned that most schools take your most recent mark (I thought most schools took your best one!). I'm just right on the borderline! I studied too much for WS, messing me up on Biology, but I'm not confident that I can pull off a 10 on VR again. I'll have my English credit next year so I can apply to the states, but I'm not too sure about that process (no SATs needed right?). And I believe the States tend to set higher MCAT cutoffs than Canada, while barely caring about the WS (damn that S! I'd trade it for a 33!)

All comments would be incredibly appreciated!! Thanks.

Guest rpuff

I would consider a few things first, and I tried to be really honest

Why you shouldn't rewrite:

When you apply next year, you'l be a 4th year applicant and the standards will drop slightly, so maybe the 30S will pull through.

Your score is balanced. Having a 10-10-10-S is better than having a 32S with a 12-7-13-S

McMaster will ONLY look at VR next year... so a 10 isn't bad in that sense.

A school like Calgary counts your MCAT as 6% of admittance, and with your score you'd actually be given 12/15 potential points.

Why you should rewrite:

30 total is on the lower end of the spectrum. Likely you won't make Queens interview cutoff next year since the trends indicated they wanted a total score of 31. If you could improve both your science sections to an 11, you'd be much more competive.

It's really up to you, do you want to dedicate another summer to studying? Will you have enough time to adequately prepare, and is the motivation there.

Archived