Premed 101 Forums

Visa Information for Canadians to US Medical Schools

kalia

the web copy's fine (they'll accept it), but i would like to receive the hard copy as well to make sure they've entered my name/personal info in the SEVIS database.

on that note, did anybody receive their hard copy yet? or are we still "in process" ...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey!

I went to the border and got my "F-1" status yesterday. So just to give you guys a heads up ...

--> The I-94 card cost $6.00 (in addition to the $200.00 Sevis fee)

--> They didn't ask to see any of my financial documents

--> They didn't ask to see my Sevis proof-of-payment

--> You get fingerprinted (both index fingers) and they take your picture

--> Expect to wait around the office ~ 30 minutes as the "process" your info

It shouldn't be too different. The limiting factor is usually the lineup. The actual paperwork stuff takes 5-10 minutes max.

I'd expect the airport to be faster because I'm not sure if anyone could be as slow as the people at the land crossings.

• 4 weeks later...

Just flew in from Toronto. I didn't get fingerprinted or anything nor did I get charged $6.

She just stapled a piece of paper (from the bottom portion of the I-94 card) and wrote F-1 D/S on it.

She did staple the SEVIS proof of payment to my I-20 and said to make sure I have that all times when entering the US (which seems annoying!).

It took less than 10 minutes (would have been even less except that I forgot to pickup the I-94 card, I had no idea that I had to that anyway, and then she yelled at me for not having my stuff complete and holding up the line :()

She did staple the SEVIS proof of payment to my I-20 and said to make sure I have that all times when entering the US (which seems annoying!).

Haha yeah you want to have your I-20 with you when you're entering the US. The CBP like to make your life VERY difficult whenever possible. I've forgotten it once and it makes me sad to see how much pleasure these people get when they power trip on you.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if you have to get a new I20 and do the Sevis thing each year? I am heading back to the US for second year and am just wondering if I have to go through the same process as last year?

Look at your I-20 and see how long it's valid for. You don't need to do everything all over again, just get another signature from your international student office (which is good for 1 year).

• 11 months later...

Hi guys I know this is a pretty dead post but Im heading to the US this fall to study and I think Ive got all documents ready except the "proof of ties to Canada" part...

what kind of documents did you guys bring? I was planning to bring the contract of the apartment me and my sister use to live in T.O. She's still living there so I hope this can count as a document that proves my tie to Canada. Any suggestions?

Hi guys I know this is a pretty dead post but Im heading to the US this fall to study and I think Ive got all documents ready except the "proof of ties to Canada" part...

what kind of documents did you guys bring? I was planning to bring the contract of the apartment me and my sister use to live in T.O. She's still living there so I hope this can count as a document that proves my tie to Canada. Any suggestions?

Canadian passport, birth certificate, citizenship card, proof of aboriginal ancestry (card? blood work?)

Canadian passport, birth certificate, citizenship card, proof of aboriginal ancestry (card? blood work?)

oh so thats it?? Doesn't seem so complicated to get a visa then

I thought I needed some kind of document that'll prove that I'll leave the US after I graduate. Seems like its not so tough to get a student visa as a Canadian then...

oh so thats it?? Doesn't seem so complicated to get a visa then

I thought I needed some kind of document that'll prove that I'll leave the US after I graduate. Seems like its not so tough to get a student visa as a Canadian then...

wait wait, you asked for "proof of ties to Canada", and these documents I stated would prove your "ties" to Canada. If you are getting a visa to the US, that's something entirely different. You'll need a visa for work, and school. The school/ company would have to sponsor you for a visa, which is entirely dependent on the school, and the information that they request from you. If you are going to the US for school, you should have an I-20 forms showing you are not an immigrant, and then you get your F1 visa in the border.

wait wait, you asked for "proof of ties to Canada", and these documents I stated would prove your "ties" to Canada. If you are getting a visa to the US, that's something entirely different. You'll need a visa for work, and school. The school/ company would have to sponsor you for a visa, which is entirely dependent on the school, and the information that they request from you. If you are going to the US for school, you should have an I-20 forms showing you are not an immigrant, and then you get your F1 visa in the border.

yeah I have my I-20, paid the SEVIS fee, got my Canadian passport, it was just the "proof of ties to Canada" criteria I was confused and didnt really know what to bring. I was planning onto bring my apartment contract and phone bills to prove I live in Canada and return after I finish study which is what the US government probably wants me to do....

however it seems getting a student visa as a Canadian isnt that difficult compared to people from other nationality. Hopefully the person at the boarder doesnt ask me for alot of documents or questions...

yeah I have my I-20, paid the SEVIS fee, got my Canadian passport, it was just the "proof of ties to Canada" criteria I was confused and didnt really know what to bring. I was planning onto bring my apartment contract and phone bills to prove I live in Canada and return after I finish study which is what the US government probably wants me to do....

however it seems getting a student visa as a Canadian isnt that difficult compared to people from other nationality. Hopefully the person at the boarder doesnt ask me for alot of documents or questions...

Bring those documents anyways just to be safe.

• 4 months later...

I've a question guys, so I came home for Christmas, and will be leaving for the US again tomrw morning. Do I need to fill out a new I-94 card? There is already a I-94 card stapled to my passport, I have all my I-20, Sevis receipt, etc etc. Do I just show them everything I have to enter in F1 student visa status?

I've a question guys, so I came home for Christmas, and will be leaving for the US again tomrw morning. Do I need to fill out a new I-94 card? There is already a I-94 card stapled to my passport, I have all my I-20, Sevis receipt, etc etc. Do I just show them everything I have to enter in F1 student visa status?

You present your passport and the I-20 together. Answer by saying you go to school in xyz, they'll ask a few more standard questions, and then you're through. However, you need to keep your I-20 updated by getting a school officials signature on the second page every year. The sig is only good for 1 year but I have heard that they'll give you a hard time if your sig is 10-11 months old. I never took that chance so I don't know how true that is. At the end of your studies, the border guy will rip out your I-94. You don't have to say anything, it's already in their computer and when they see your status expired, they'll take it away.

PS: Getting a nexus card does you wonders. Especially if you cross along the busiest routes (windsor, buffalo).

thanks Anxiousboy! I've seen the "nexus card" routes across landline borders, what is it and how do I get one? More pertinent, what exactly does a nexus card do for you?

Nexus card is an expedited crossing card for low-risk travelers good for 5 years at a time (for $50 if I'm remembering correctly). It gives you privilege to use the nexus lane which is usually line-free. The only advantage is that you can blow past all the suckers in line. You can apply online.

You can also use it through air crossing. However, i haven't been in an airport in a while and I don't really recall where the nexus line is.

Some caveat. Crossings like the buffalo/niagara are bridge-based, so you end up being stuck behind the line until you can cross the gorge at which point you can head to the nexus lane. This can be mitigated by using the nexus-only bridge (1 of 4 crossing bridge there is nexus-only while 2 other has dedicated nexus lane). I got this card after constant 2 hour waits at the border since the times you cross is most likely the times others cross making for a long bottleneck :(

• 1 month later...

I think you have 30 days grace before and after class start and end dates on an F-1. Don't quote me on that. You could enter as a "visitor" before that, but if you are planning to move stuff across the border, you'd be denied likely. If not bringing stuff, I'm guessing you'd just have to leave the US and re-enter on an F-1 closer to your start date. If I remember correctly, F-1 will not cover you for the summers once you start either.

Hi guys, just wondering do you need anything else apart from your Canadian passport to go to the states just for interviews? It certainly seems that you need a lots of things once you begin study there.

Thanks.

You don't need anything just like you won't need anything to go gamble at Vegas. There once was a time (5 years ago), when you didn't even need a passport to go over to the states. Better yet, go to point roberts in BC and you wouldn't even pass through a border guard.

What are you referring to? what do you need once you begin study in the states?

You don't need anything just like you won't need anything to go gamble at Vegas. There once was a time (5 years ago), when you didn't even need a passport to go over to the states. Better yet, go to point roberts in BC and you wouldn't even pass through a border guard.

What are you referring to? what do you need once you begin study in the states?

Oh that's good.:D

When I said "what do I need" I meant the I-20 and all that stuff people have been mentioning in this thread about going to US, so I got anxious...

• 3 months later...

What is this about declaring your intention to go back home once your education is finished?

lol.

No room to explain to them about residency, and um... needing to pay back the more than $250, 000 it cost you during 4 years?

Should we dare open our mouths about our intention to apply for work visas afterwards, or will that just open up a can of trouble?

Archived