Premed 101 Forums

Green Card before Residency?

Hypothetically,

I'm a Canadian Citizen doing my undergraduate in Canada. And the end of my 3rd or 4th year I apply to Canadian and US Medical Schools. I only get accepted at Wayne State and a couple of other US Medschools.

I choose to go to Wayne State and I'm not a greencard holder or anything, so I pay $56,000 per year.

What if I get a green-card before my residency starts though?

How does this make a difference? (If it makes any difference at all)

P.S. I don't really know anything about the immigration problems Canadians have to go through at US med-schools, but I do know that getting a green-card can make a difference at some point.

I'm pretty sure that's impossible.

The Canadians who manage to get their green cards before residency did their undergrad in the states as well. So by MS4 they've been in the states for at least 7 years, likely working in summers, maybe even entire years between undergrad and med school doing research.

There definitely are ways. perhaps the simplest to come to mind is to marry an American citizen while you are at school.. but I'm not sure how long it will take after the marriage. Maybe there is also the work permit route? but i'm not sure about that.

Giggity. Vegas here I come.

the only family that will assist in your citizenship is:

husband.wife

brother.sister

child

i thought the only one that was possible was the husband/wife one. I didn't know that having a child w/ a citizenship made the parents eligible as well. Same for the siblings:confused:

I thought the sibling one can only hurt your chance.

Actually, it is very possible to sponser your sibling if you are a US citizen. But the thing is that it takes a VERY long time to complete the whole process and issue the documents. I know of one case in particular where it took 11 years. And that's usually the norm unless you are from either China, Mexico, or India. The people were sponsered when their children were very young. In the mean time, they had immigrated to Canada and started a new life here. And then all of a sudden, when their children were already approaching their senior years in high school, their US immigration documents finally arrived in their originating country address.

You are also eligible through your mother. my grandma just got my mom, dad and sister eligible for a green card.. but not me because i was above 18 at the time of application (or maybe above 21... don't remember)

So you're saying only siblings can sponsor each other? I thought parents can sponsor their children regardless of what age they are--whether it be above 18 or 21?

Archived