Premed 101 Forums

Prereqs as Credit/No Credit?

• 1 month later...
I am really terrible at english. If I take 2 semesters of english over the summer on a credit/no credit basis, can I use that for the prereqs to US med schools? And is there any way they could see what I really got in those classes?

How do you take the course as a pass/fail basis? Do you mean taking the course at other university so that it would only show up as a credit on 'your' original university transcript?

If you take a course P/F IT WILL NOT COUNT as a prereq. If you take it at another university and the grade doesn't show up on your transcript that's okay, as long as you received a grade. (You'll send the transcript from the other university as well anyway).

Guest mk08

"as said already, you cannot take prereqs for pass/fail"

Not true.

This may not apply to all schools (if any). I've emailed Wayne State and NYC as well as SUNY about this, and they've told me it's okay to take a prereq ENG course as pass/fail. SUNY was the only one that said they "preferred" the graded version instead (I would assume most schools would prefer this so keep that in mind). Of course there's the possibility they will ask at the interview why you took those courses as P/F, to which "I suck at English courses" is a poor response.

I have a couple saved.

Email with Wayne:

"We will accept an English course taken as pass/fail."

Email with SUNY:

"1) Will you accept pass/fail English courses as meeting the course

requirement? Yes but a graded course would be preferred."

If you don't believe me ask them yourself.

Archived