Premed 101 Forums

GPA and MCAT

I'm not 100% sure this applies to us Cdns because we generally need higher stats than americans

i'm hoping my experiences/ps will pull me through this round... and applying early

early early early early early early early early...............

then you'd better have some good stats...

what do you want us to say?

Seriously...

I don't think you guys realize how time and cost intensive applying to the US is...it's not like Canada at all. You're not going to want to do this more than once (and if you aim to be complete in September that's what is going to happen). Just take it earlier...I only studied for a month after finals, took it in early June and did fine.

Agree..want to write early...but..physics is an issue since i have never taken it at university, and am doing it at summer school....thus writing mcat late.

Do you think, with doing kaplan etc..that would be sufficient for physics..or do I need to wait til I complete the course at summer school?

thank you for your help

I had only taken one semester of physics (zero in high school), no chemistry since high school, and only studied for 1 month with ExamKrackers books. I was obviously weak in the physical sciences compared to bio but you really don't need that much theory to get an acceptable score.

I don't know... if having more time to study for the MCAT means getting a great score, I think that probably outweighs the benefits of applying 1 month earlier. It's obvious that applying early is an advantage, but applying at the end of August isn't going to be a deal-breaker if your application is strong.

I was complete in November and still got some interviews. Smoke the MCAT!

Guest viscous
I think my application would be a lot better with a 36 than a 32... also I have been reading things on SDN and they say that by being complete by the end of August is still considered to be early... or atleast I think

nothing guarantees that you will get 36 if you give 1 month extra to study. It will only make you "feel" more prepared. What effect that feeling will have on the actual performance? no one knows.

I think my application would be a lot better with a 36 than a 32... also I have been reading things on SDN and they say that by being complete by the end of August is still considered to be early... or atleast I think

There is no way end of August is considered early.

Archived