Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Prep Courses?

doctulk

Has anyone out there taken one of those MCAT Prep courses? i.e. Oxford Seminars? Registered for the MCAT for September and wondering if participating in such a course would improve my scores.

The closest one I could attend is in Halifax (I am from NL) which would be a huge investment of time and money! :( To my knowledge there is no prep course offered in Newfoundland which bothers me considering we do have a medical school......:confused:

Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...
Has anyone out there taken one of those MCAT Prep courses? i.e. Oxford Seminars? Registered for the MCAT for September and wondering if participating in such a course would improve my scores.

The closest one I could attend is in Halifax (I am from NL) which would be a huge investment of time and money! :( To my knowledge there is no prep course offered in Newfoundland which bothers me considering we do have a medical school......:confused:

Any thoughts?

The Princeton Review offers online classes or tutoring... their still fairly expensive, but surely not as expensive as going to Halifax.

Any thoughts?

Prep courses are overrated IMO. I got 35Q with just the kaplan book and the EK VR 101 passages book. I had many other friends that got 35+ with no prep course. If you are self-motivated enough you should be able to learn without a tutor.

Any thoughts?

Yet another vote against courses. Save your money, you'll need it when you get in. Prep courses are not like University, where you learn things and need them explained. If you had done your science prereqs/usual college humanities it is a review you need. Unless you are an arts major who had never heard of Newton, I would advise you to buy the books and study on your own. Just like the poster above, I got a neat MCAT score on my own.

Archived