Premed 101 Forums

Things to Keep in Mind

1. Apply early

2. MCAT > GPA

3. Apply broadly and intelligently - getting into harvard/yale/etc is hard as an American, it's even harder as a Canadian. So apply to many schools and don't be limited by rank, some mid-low tier schools will really surprise you (ie. I thought VCU was absolutely amazing, by far the best facilities I have seen anywhere in Canada and the United States)

4. Some schools require the full amount upfront in escrow, so don't bother applying there unless you have a lot of financial support (I think Duke and SLU are like this).

5. Your personal statement is your main chance at grabbing their attention, it's really important and often neglected. Work at it. Apparently you should only describe, at most, 3 activities/ec related things in it. So it is not a timeline of your life's events, but rather a way of giving the admission committee a better idea of who you are.

1. Apply early

2. MCAT > GPA

3. Apply broadly and intelligently - getting into harvard/yale/etc is hard as an American, it's even harder as a Canadian. So apply to many schools and don't be limited by rank, some mid-low tier schools will really surprise you (ie. I thought VCU was absolutely amazing, by far the best facilities I have seen anywhere in Canada and the United States)

4. Some schools require the full amount upfront in escrow, so don't bother applying there unless you have a lot of financial support (I think Duke and SLU are like this).

5. Your personal statement is your main chance at grabbing their attention, it's really important and often neglected. Work at it. Apparently you should only describe, at most, 3 activities/ec related things in it. So it is not a timeline of your life's events, but rather a way of giving the admission committee a better idea of who you are.

+234234234234

1. Apply early

2. MCAT > GPA

This is super helpful, thanks THX!

I used my AMCAS personal statement for my U of T app. I think the U of T essay is a fraction longer, so I added a small amount more info about my academic background/program -- something I remember U of T specifically asking for. Applying is so much work, you've gotta re-use where you can :)

A major disadvantage for me attending a medical school in the US is the fact that it costs 3-4x more than ones in Canada. I think I would be paying back loans for life... how long does it typically take to pay back all of the loans from medical school? how do we get paid during our rotations in medical school? during residency? ahhhh!

A major disadvantage for me attending a medical school in the US is the fact that it costs 3-4x more than ones in Canada. I think I would be paying back loans for life... how long does it typically take to pay back all of the loans from medical school? how do we get paid during our rotations in medical school? during residency? ahhhh!

I agree with this but my rationale is, if I don't get accepted in Canada, I will either have to take a year off or do a masters. Both will cost money (though not as much) and time so if I get accepted in the States, hasta luego Canada!

It will take longer to pay off the loans but in the end, you are still a doctor and can probably pay that off sooner or later.

Archived