Premed 101 Forums

When is the best time to apply to american med schools?

So I have a feeling my chances this May 15th aren't too hot. It doesn't bother me too much since I'm only in third year. So next year, to insure I get in at least somewhere, I'm going to be applying to Canadian and 'merican med schools. But when is the best time to start applying? I've heard people say "earlier the better", but how early is "early" if I want to get admitted for fall '10?

Don't be too confident about your chances at American schools. They are still competitive.

Submit your primary by July and you should be ok, so long as you get your secondaries done quickly (and your stats/PS are good).

So I have a feeling my chances this May 15th aren't too hot. It doesn't bother me too much since I'm only in third year. So next year, to insure I get in at least somewhere, I'm going to be applying to Canadian and 'merican med schools. But when is the best time to start applying? I've heard people say "earlier the better", but how early is "early" if I want to get admitted for fall '10?

If you want to apply Stateside, you need to start doing a lot of research and groundwork before you even create that interfolio/AMCAS account. Honestly though, if you're only starting to think about it now, you're already a bit late for this cycle. The reason is that many of these schools have very specific requirements for LORs and you need to get these into a document delivery service such as Interfolio or now AMCAS offers the service as well (?). A good rule of thumb is to get your secondaries in/be complete by July/Augus/early September for the best chances.

There are many threads in the past about this. Good luck.

If you want to apply Stateside, you need to start doing a lot of research and groundwork before you even create that interfolio/AMCAS account. Honestly though, if you're only starting to think about it now, you're already a bit late for this cycle. The reason is that many of these schools have very specific requirements for LORs and you need to get these into a document delivery service such as Interfolio or now AMCAS offers the service as well (?). A good rule of thumb is to get your secondaries in/be complete by July/Augus/early September for the best chances.

There are many threads in the past about this. Good luck.

AMCAS' letter service is still only for a small subset of schools -- a little strange. I didn't use Interfolio -- just gave all my referees a set of pre-stamped/addressed envelopes and that was a simple option. Slower, obviously, but easy.

AMCAS' letter service is still only for a small subset of schools -- a little strange. I didn't use Interfolio -- just gave all my referees a set of pre-stamped/addressed envelopes and that was a simple option. Slower, obviously, but easy.

But with Interfolio, they only need to put one letter in one pre-stamped/addressed envelope. I'm not sure how that's more difficult.

OK, definitely sounds like Interfolio is better than the old school approach then.

Just brought up the envelopes strategy because Kenneth Toronto mentioned it was late to be thinking of applying because of LOR services like Interfolio. I guess he just meant gathering references can take a while.

Just brought up the envelopes strategy because Kenneth Toronto mentioned it was late to be thinking of applying because of LOR services like Interfolio. I guess he just meant gathering references can take a while.

Yup, that's exactly what I meant: gathering those LORs takes time. You have to be reasonable with the letter writers and give them a wide deadline. On the other hand, stuff happens and it can become a big nightmare.

It's always a good idea to get the LOR stuff rolling around March, so when AMCAS applications open open, you can get started right away without worrying about hunting down your referees.

Interfolio is also the way to go compared to preaddressed and pre-stamped envelopes. You save your referees time and you give yourself more flexibility down the road.

Hmm, regarding LORs I already had 3 for my Ontario app in the past cycle, I thought I would just ask these referees to reuse them. Though recently I think I read somewhere on this forum that the referees need to be sci profs or something? Yea I know I need to research. I just didn't want to do it yet because I have my MCAT to write at the end of this month, and the score will come out probably in another month, so I think that will be the limiting factor in terms of time. Plus who knows, I may actually get an acceptance email on the 15th so this whole thread could be moot at that point.

Not to sound foolish, but I was only thinking of applying to Hopkins, Albany, and maybe Wayne (don't know much about it, but its close to the border, lol). Case Western is another option but I'm not really leaning that way because I have a few cousins go through there and their dad is still a resident physician at the hospital. I don't know why, but just cause they were there makes me want to avoid it, LOL. 1st choice is obviously Hopkins, because I've already been around JHMI and met some people of class of '12. It seemed cool and obviously has the reputation.

Bash away at my apparent naivety :).

Archived