Premed 101 Forums

Rewriting MCAT and application time

I am planning on rewriting my MCAT on July 31 this year and I would also like to apply to the States.

I know one advantage for applying Stateside is to do it early. So my question is, if I am rewriting and my score doesn't come out till August 31...when should I apply?

Can I apply before my MCAT score comes out? Or will the schools see my first score?

My first score is a 30S which I know is not competitive but I am confident (or rather, finger crossing really hard :P ) that this summer's score will be higher.

1# When is the deadline for applications to be received by AMCAS?

There are two sets of application deadline dates. The Early Decision Program (EDP) has a deadline of August 1 for all medical schools. The Regular Admissions Program deadlines vary from school to school. Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) of the deadline date.

You'd probably miss the early deadline because from what I can gather the MCAT score is part of your primaries. Register online for an AMCAS account and read the instruction booklet and what not. Registrations just opened today for '10.

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to bump this up.

But just to clarify, if I apply in June/July BEFORE I rewrite my MCAT, will the base the primary decisions on my first score?

Will they see that I am going to retake the MCAT and wait for that score?

If so, will that be bad in terms of "getting your application early" ?

Since I am writing July 31st, should I wait until after Aug. 31 and I get my score to submit my app?

so can i apply before i recieve my new MCAT scores?

and then release the score once i get it?

This is the response I got from AMCAS on this matter I while ago..

It looks like the schools will see that you are planning to retake the MCAT (there is a section in the AMCAS appl. where you can enter the date of your next MCAT). I think your scores will be automatically sent to the schools once they are released.

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for contacting AMCAS.

MCAT scores are not required to submit of have applications verified by AMCAS. There is section in application(standardized test), where you can enter date you plan to take the test and thereby notify the medical schools.

If you have any questions or if we can be of additional assistance, please contact us at AMCAS@aamc.org or (202) 828-0600.

You can apply to schools before you take the MCAT. Just make sure to submit your primary application, transcripts, and LOR's to interfolio and AMCAS beforehand. When your scores come out, the schools will get your scores within one week.

I actually rewrote my MCAT on September 13th last year. I didn't get my score (33R) back until mid-October. I still applied to the US. I managed to get three interviews and two acceptances. I'm grateful for how things worked out, but obviously don't apply as late as I did.

You can apply to schools before you take the MCAT. Just make sure to submit your primary application, transcripts, and LOR's to interfolio and AMCAS beforehand. When your scores come out, the schools will get your scores within one week.

I actually rewrote my MCAT on September 13th last year. I didn't get my score (33R) back until mid-October. I still applied to the US. I managed to get three interviews and two acceptances. I'm grateful for how things worked out, but obviously don't apply as late as I did.

So when did you apply? Aug?

And have you written the MCAT before?

My concern is that they will toss me out because of my 1st score before they even see my first one.

Thank you for all the responses!

Yes, I did write the MCAT before. My previous score was 30O.

I sent in my AMCAS primary at the end of June. But I sent in my transcripts weeks before that. I was verified by mid-July I think. Regardless, the schools that I applied to didn't at all evaluate my application because I checked off the box in my primary that told them to wait for my upcoming MCAT score. Hence, they waited.

I am sure that they won't toss your application out because of your first score.

And yes, US med schools can see all your MCAT attempts. But they don't care if you've taken the MCAT twice. With the exception of GW I think, they all look at your most recent score.

im also in the same boat as polarb...and i just wanted some clarification...

Let's say: I declare I am not signed up for another mcat and submit my old score with my primary, i'll have certain scools look at my application and send me an offer.

Then mid july, say i decide to actaully go thorugh and write another mcat (currently signed up for july31) and have my scores released by end of august, and if it's possibly...worse... will schools look at my new mcat and resend my offer or still stick with the old mcat score?

On the flip side, if my score the 2nd time around is better, I would be able to add more schools to apply too, correct??

I think that if you don't tell them you are rewriting the MCAT, some schools will look at your application and either reject or place you on hold (for later re-review) if your MCAT is not up to their standards. On other hand, some schools will want to interview you if your MCAT is up to their standards.

But the first round of acceptances don't go out until October 15th at the earliest I think. And from what I have surveyed, most successful Canadian applicants don't have an acceptance in their hand until at least January. Therefore, schools will still probably have time to take a look at your most recent score in the pre-interview or even post-interview stage. If it's a lower score, then they will take that into consideration when they are deciding whether want to interview or even accept you.

If your score is higher, then you will be able to add more schools. And the schools that you applied to earlier on will take that into account if they haven't already made a decision on your application.

If your score is higher, then you will be able to add more schools. And the schools that you applied to earlier on will take that into account if they haven't already made a decision on your application.

Oh, I didn't know that you could add more schools after the initial app. Thats good to know.

Thanks for the answers Dayne67, you have been really helpful!

What school did you end up picking?

i was wondering can you actually do this,be signed up for a mcat but mention on the form that your not?dont they have access to stuff like your future mcat registrations?I am curious because then I would do that too,use my current mcat which isnt that good to be early at some low tier schools and then see how my future mcat turns out possibly add more higher tier schools.

• 1 year later...
i was wondering can you actually do this,be signed up for a mcat but mention on the form that your not?dont they have access to stuff like your future mcat registrations?I am curious because then I would do that too,use my current mcat which isnt that good to be early at some low tier schools and then see how my future mcat turns out possibly add more higher tier schools.

I'm wondering the same thing. Can someone comment on this?

Archived