Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances?

Hrmmm well it'd be tough...admissions are getting more competitive every year and you are just about average for all matriculants. Does anyone know the average stats for Canadians at Wayne for example?

OTOH American schools do really care about your background and extracurriculars so without details it's hard to tell.

Hrmmm well it'd be tough...admissions are getting more competitive every year and you are just about average for all matriculants. Does anyone know the average stats for Canadians at Wayne for example?

OTOH American schools do really care about your background and extracurriculars so without details it's hard to tell.

From your experiences this cycle, which US schools are more 'research' focused and which ones are more 'clinical' focused.

I'm assuming this isn't clear cut.

From your experiences this cycle, which US schools are more 'research' focused and which ones are more 'clinical' focused.

I'm assuming this isn't clear cut.

Well every school in the USNews research top 50ish has a lot of research going on, and they are all trying to recruit students with strong research backgrounds.

That said, any school that I interviewed at will consider people without research experience.

Rumour mill says Stanford and Pritzker are no gos without research. Those are really the only two schools I didn't apply to because of that.

Well every school in the USNews research top 50ish has a lot of research going on, and they are all trying to recruit students with strong research backgrounds.

That said, any school that I interviewed at will consider people without research experience.

Rumour mill says Stanford and Pritzker are no gos without research. Those are really the only two schools I didn't apply to because of that.

Thanks, token!

(Congrats btw).

Hmm, I'm just looking at schools that really like lots of clinical experience. I've done research as well, but my ECs are my strength.

Thanks, token!

(Congrats btw).

Hmm, I'm just looking at schools that really like lots of clinical experience. I've done research as well, but my ECs are my strength.

Oh well in that case you're set for everywhere! Every school likes clinical experience and the research will just be a bonus.

Oh well in that case you're set for everywhere! Every school likes clinical experience and the research will just be a bonus.

Really?

Maybe I'm becoming de-sensitized about the value of my ECs because they don't seem to offer much benefit in the OMSAS process, driven by GPA/MCAT cut-offs, where applicants with excellent GPAs and MCAT scores don’t get in. Oh dear. :o

Really?

Maybe I'm becoming de-sensitized about the value of my ECs because they don't seem to offer much benefit in the OMSAS process, driven by GPA/MCAT cut-offs, where applicants with excellent GPAs and MCAT scores don’t get in. Oh dear. :o

Yeah ECs are definitely very important. I just meant that there aren't any schools that value clinical experience more than others.

Once you've got the requisite clinical and research experience your non-academic pursuits can be crucial as well.

Archived