Premed 101 Forums

What to do now

So today I was waitlisted at Ottawa (bad), Queens, Western, Calgary and McGill and rejected from Toronto and Dalhousie (NS is my residence, not sure what happened here as I thought the MMI was better than average).

I got a 14/10/14 Q on my MCAT (2nd time writing, first time was a 34Q)

My OMSAS GPA is a 3.98 and would be a 3.99 after this semester passed. Should I look into applying to the states and can anyone recommend Canadian friendly schools which I could look at?

Thanks for the help!

how the hell did u get rejected with those stats?

in any case, i think you would be a competitive applicant to US schools. The application has already opened so you better get going. If you want a suggestion about schools, http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527971

download the spreadsheet and input your stats to get an idea of where you would be competitive.

You got bunch interviews but the end results are either wait list or flat out rejections. So I don't know, perhaps the best thing for you to do is try to figure out what it is that you did wrong during the interview process. However, don't lose hope yet, since many of the schools that you are wait listed a lot of people do come out from the list. Ok, maybe Ottawa is an exception since you are in the lower ranks. If in the worst case scenario that you fail to gain acceptance to any of the Canadian schools, I suggest for the next application cycle try to apply as many US schools as you possibly can. There is nothing to lose by maximizing your chances.

I don't know if there is such a thing as Canadian friendly schools in the US, but a general rule of thumb is that most private schools don't care if you are a international student or domestic, public state schools however do in some circumstances.

OP your stats are so high that the usual looking through the MSAR and USNews tables and comparing stats may not be that helpful. If you have good ECs and research experience you can probably forgoe the so called "safety" schools and focus on private top tier schools.

So today I was waitlisted at Ottawa (bad), Queens, Western, Calgary and McGill and rejected from Toronto and Dalhousie (NS is my residence, not sure what happened here as I thought the MMI was better than average).

I got a 14/10/14 Q on my MCAT (2nd time writing, first time was a 34Q)

My OMSAS GPA is a 3.98 and would be a 3.99 after this semester passed. Should I look into applying to the states and can anyone recommend Canadian friendly schools which I could look at?

Thanks for the help!

honsestly, with that MCAT, you can apply anywhere! i'd say give ivy league schools a shot!

Thanks for all the replys! You have been uplifting

If I take english the coming fall/winter semester will that meet the requirements of most American schools as long as it is finished before med school starts. I took German Literature and Film during my undergrad (it was a writing credit and I did write essays).

Awesome, thanks for the help!

and yes I have three summer NSERCS and an honors project as research, as well as a year of meal assistance and various other volunteer positions with soccer and played competitive soccer since I have been 12. I have just been going through the sticky on favorable American Schools for Canadians and checking out price and requirements to see if I met them.

Archived