Premed 101 Forums

Quebeb Cegep to US college

This question is plainly out of curiosity, not sure i wanna do what im saying here.

So im a Quebec student who finished Cegep. Im 18. Basically i just want to know if it's possible for me to apply to US/Outside-Quebec colleges (not med schools yet).

As i've already done lots of prerequiste (organic chemistry, calculus, ...), i tought i could finish up other required classes if i attend as a premed student. I think that i could finish college faster and then have the opportunity to apply to LOTS of med schools (as opposed to the 3-4 med schools in quebec).

Is it possible? Is it a good choice?

Thanks

I think you can apply, the issue is whether you'll get credit for your CEGEP work or if you'll have to do the full 4 years. I'm guessing the non-Quebec Canadian schools would be more likely to recognize your CEGEP than American ones but I'm not sure.

This question is plainly out of curiosity, not sure i wanna do what im saying here.

So im a Quebec student who finished Cegep. Im 18. Basically i just want to know if it's possible for me to apply to US/Outside-Quebec colleges (not med schools yet).

As i've already done lots of prerequiste (organic chemistry, calculus, ...), i tought i could finish up other required classes if i attend as a premed student. I think that i could finish college faster and then have the opportunity to apply to LOTS of med schools (as opposed to the 3-4 med schools in quebec).

Is it possible? Is it a good choice?

Thanks

Yes, you can go to college or university in USA, but with Quebec having great educational opportunities and the lowest cost of tuition in Canada, unless your parents are willing and able to spring for very substantial additional heavy expense in tuition (plus living expenses) for no particular reason, it does not make sense to me.

You may well need to pay higher tuition out of province or out of Canada at the next level, and so, I would counsel you to save this potential gold bullet for another day in discussion with your parents when you really need to leave home and then incur heavy expenses for legitimate reason.

So, no, I do not think it is a good choice with all the educational oportunities at your doorstep, regsrdless of any special facts that may exist in your particular case. I recommend you don't waste your time or energy looking at this path and that you focus on reasonable and realistic choices within the area or your residence. Good luck.

You can go to the university of your choice... after 1 year of cegep many ontario or US schools will consider you equivalent to a grade 12 high school graduate.

Just remember that US schools will cost about 10 times as much as Quebec universities.

Also, a bachelor's degree from McGill, UdeM, Sherb or Laval does not stop you from applying to any and every med school in North America afterward.

Lastly, you will likely not finish your degree any faster at a US school, not sure where you got that idea.

Also, one last thing. Dont confuse quebec pre-med with the so-called "pre-med" programs in the US. Quebec is one of the only places in North America which allow students to enter med school at age 19 and do 1 year of "pre-med" studies. In the US and most of Canada, you need to complete a 4-year (3-yr in quebec bc of cegep) bachelor degree. Those that consider themselves premed... all that means is they are completing their prereqs for med school but they could still technically major in biology, finance or even music.

If you complete cegep science in 2 years, you have one chance to enter premed in quebec and complete medschool in 5 years. Otherwise, you do a bachelors degree which opens the door to just about any med school in Canada or US assuming you write your MCAT.

Good luck

Archived