Premed 101 Forums

how to transfer from the U.S. to Canada

I have two scenarios:

1. A student having completed 2 years of the 4 yr MD program from one of the good, midwestern medical schools in the u.s. needs to relocate to Canada. Can he pursue and resume his medical education in ANY province in Canada. If yes, can he continue uninterrupted and what exactly are the exams he has to do? if not, why?

2. A student having completed the 4 yr MD program from one of the good, midwestern medical schools in the u.s. needs to relocate to Canada. Will he be treated as any other IMG? Exactly which exams does he have to pass to get a residency spot in Canada? what are his chances (i imagine , not much) and are there any past statistics, countrywise or otherwise ?

Any light on this subject is welcome!

Guest copacetic

transferring between medical schools is rearely ever succesful. its almost impossible to transfer between medical schools WITHIN canada, never mind transferring from across the border. most medical schools will simply say no.

If you live in Ontario you can do your residency in the US and return to work afterwards without taking the Canadian exams, and without making up the difference in training years (American residencies are often shorter). If you're prepared to spend the additional 4-7 years in the US that's probably the most practical option for training in a specialty you actually want and then coming back.

To match back to Canada for residency you'd have to set up electives at Canadian schools, take the Canadian exams, and (from peoples' experiences on SDN) not be competitive for nearly as desirable residencies as you could get in the US as a US grad.

If you live in Ontario you can do your residency in the US and return to work afterwards without taking the Canadian exams, and without making up the difference in training years (American residencies are often shorter).

Also, I think you need to be board certified in the States in order to come back to Ontario with no additional testing/training.

Archived