Premed 101 Forums

F-1 visa, how much can you work with it??

So from what I understand reading about the F-1 visa, we're not allowed to work more than 20 hours a week in the U.S.

Does that also apply in the summer when we're out of school? I thought I had read before that we were allowed to work as long as it was for the school but now it seems like it's 20 hours or less, regardless. What does everyone else do in the summer then? Do they just return to Canada to work??

Try looking at "optional practical training" and "curricular practical training" which can be used with F-1 status. I had friend who worked one summer under curricular practical training ... the catch is that it has to be tied to your studies in some way. Perhaps useful if you can get a summer job doing research or something.

Also wondering about this....can you work off-campus on an F-1?

You can work off campus if you apply for CPT, which means if the job you are doing is related or required by your study. Also during school sessions you are eligible to work 20 hrs per week max, however, during vacation or summer, during which you are not registered, you can work more hours than 20. If you work on campus, there is no need to file any applications. It's the off-campus work that gets more complicated.

Archived