Premed 101 Forums

Any schools without an English Pre-req?

Hey all,

I'm looking for a little insight.

Are there any schools in the states that do not require an english pre-req or could possibly waive this requirement?

I have a few humanities courses in Film and Latin, but I doubt these will count as a replacement for an English credit.

I have a cgpa of 3.80 and I got an 11/11/7(vr) on my MCAT last year. I am re-writing it this june. If I drastically improve my Verbal, will schools care that I do not have an english component?

If you could point me to any resources or offer any advice, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

There might be one or two schools that accept Canadians that don't require English. 99% of them will require English or some form of writing-intensive course

I saw some schools accept Grade 13 English as an english course. And what about having written a Master's thesis? Are these commonly accepted substitutes, or the exception?

I saw some schools accept Grade 13 English as an english course. And what about having written a Master's thesis? Are these commonly accepted substitutes, or the exception?

Just take the English course. I hate taking English too, but a little pain is worth it to pursue your career, no? Don't bother taking some course that you think might satisfy the English requirement. Take an ENG course, so you know every school will accept it without objection.

why on earth would an MSc replace an english class?

I saw somewhere (it may have been on here) someone saying that they'll give you credit because of the amount of writing required for the thesis. Don't know why, just saw it. Guess they figure to write a thesis you have to demonstrate some capacity with the language?

More importantly, is an English course always required? I realize I could just do one, but I'm also lacking a physics course, so now I'm wondering if my app is in trouble because of those two prereqs.

Archived