Premed 101 Forums

If Canadian Med Schools fail.. then land ho America?

Is it more difficult for Canadians to apply into American Med Schools?

I was just looking at the AMCAS scale for my University (Queen's), and 80 and above are 4.0. If this is true, then my GPA is much higher for applying to American med schools rather than Canadian.

I was also wondering:

- what are some processes that are implicated in applying?

- besides the MCAT, what else needs to be done for American med schools?

- Are American schools better?

Thanksss

Is it more difficult for Canadians to apply into American Med Schools?

I was just looking at the AMCAS scale for my University (Queen's), and 80 and above are 4.0. If this is true, then my GPA is much higher for applying to American med schools rather than Canadian.

I was also wondering:

- what are some processes that are implicated in applying?

- besides the MCAT, what else needs to be done for American med schools?

- Are American schools better?

Thanksss

Answer to your questions:

- Write MCAT, finish your undergrad, fill application, get reference letters, pay your fee, mail your transcripts, wait for application to be verified, wait, more wait, secondary application, wait for interview, wait, interview, more wait,

acceptance/rejection/waitlist.

- see above

- depends the schools you are thinking about and the ones you are trying to compare to

Answer to your questions:

- Write MCAT, finish your undergrad, fill application, get reference letters, pay your fee, mail your transcripts, wait for application to be verified, wait, more wait, secondary application, wait for interview, wait, interview, more wait,

acceptance/rejection/waitlist.

compare to

thanks silvermen those were some really good directions. But just to specify, what is this "secondary application"?

Me no likey the waiting process...

and to have the US$60,000 a year to cover all your expenses!

THAT expensive? oh my goodness... well i was looking at Canadian med school fees and they were also around 40000$ a year. Wtf? why are we paying so much??? this is like the entire undergrad campaign in one payment... and they expect me to pay it 4 x over?

minimum tuition is ~$45K in the US (SUNY Upstate being the exception @ $36K)... averaging upwards of $50K + health + books... let alone living (which in NYU or Boston can be atrocious)... you're looking ~$80K-$100K per year...

better have the funds

i'm skipping on the states this year. the numbers don't add up for $$$

australia here i come :D

One thing I don't get about Canadian schools is financial aid apparently doesn't cover the whole cost of attendance? On UofT's website for e.g. they say CoA is ~40K, but the average grant/loan amount is only 18K. Are you expected to come up with 22K every year on your own?

Still no comparison to a private US education ofc. On SDN there was this dental student talking about how he'll end up paying $900K-1 mill to finance his education. Granted even on a PCP salary a doctor could pay it down faster/cheaper, but holy crap that's scary.

Still no comparison to a private US education ofc. On SDN there was this dental student talking about how he'll end up paying $900K-1 mill to finance his education. Granted even on a PCP salary a doctor could pay it down faster/cheaper, but holy crap that's scary.

$1mil seems like a lot, but I know that dental school tuition is disgusting in the US. It's almost double of what medical school costs on average.

One thing I don't get about Canadian schools is financial aid apparently doesn't cover the whole cost of attendance? On UofT's website for e.g. they say CoA is ~40K, but the average grant/loan amount is only 18K. Are you expected to come up with 22K every year on your own?

Financial aid isn't expected to cover the entire cost of tuition. Between OSAP(both the interest free $7K portion and any additional amount above that which is considered a grant...typically $5-$6k) / and Bursaries, the average UofT tuition goes down from $18K to $8000.

Financial aid isn't expected to cover the entire cost of tuition. Between OSAP(both the interest free $7K portion and any additional amount above that which is considered a grant...typically $5-$6k) / and Bursaries, the average UofT tuition goes down from $18K to $8000.

Yeah I just remember mentioning that to a FA person in the states and she was shocked that the full cost wasn't covered here either through the school or federally.

64 000 for meds?? which school are you looking at?

Some figures for some US schools I was considering was in the 70s and 80s. As I said, NYU is the 'wayne' state of dental schools.

But i should note that I don't consider an additional 10k-15k to be "that much more".

I was comparing NYU med to NYU dent

NYU MED COA is $ 64 003 for 2009- 2010.

I see what you mean though if you're comparing dental school to med schools like Wayne State.

Archived