Premed 101 Forums

Distance English Courses

I found Athabasca University to be the easiest, as you really have an open schedule throughout. You choose your own start date, and I believe the courses lasts around 6 months.

Here is a link to the english courses available. Obviously, I wouldn't load up on the upper levels, but don't only take the lower levels.

Furthermore, make sure that you are actually receiving credits for taking courses. For example, you receive 0 credits for ENGL140 (Grammar), but 3 for ENGL211 (Prose), which is enough to satisfy half the english requirement.

To the best of my knowledge, you would need to take the english courses designated "Humanities" and not "No area of study". This information can be viewed on each course's syllabus page. However, I never applied to UBC, so it would be in your best interests to give them a call for clarification.

I took ENGL211 and 255. workloads for both courses were very light: there are maybe 6 essays in 255 and 3 essays in 211 so you can definitely finish before the 6 month timeline. of course there are books and essays to read on top of that. I ended up with a B and A respectively in each course. Don't expect these to be gpa boosters or anything, it's english!

I took these while I was applying to US schools and they were counted as my 1 full-course english requirement.

• 2 months later...
so i hear the workload is light

however, how were the marks? i am curious

also, there was another post on another thread that some online english courses arent' accepted at some US med schools... does anyone have info on this claim??

Thanks!

I've also read this but have no experience with online courses. Make sure you do your research first, it would suck to take those courses only to find out that the schools you love won't accept them.

There are varied opinions for online courses.

I've never taken an online course.... some people on SDN forums advise you NOT to take online courses as pre-requisites because of the "limits of online education" and that adcoms may look down on these courses... I'm not sure how true this is, take it with a grain of salt.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=646805

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=661673

There are definitely schools that do not accept online courses. You'd have to read through each school's pre-requisites on their website to find out (perhaps check the pre-reqs for the schools you are most interested in attending).

Personally, I think if you take 1-2 online courses and explain to schools why you did so (e.g. for scheduling purposes, conflicted with courses you were taking in school), then I don't think there should be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
I took ENGL211 and 255. workloads for both courses were very light: there are maybe 6 essays in 255 and 3 essays in 211 so you can definitely finish before the 6 month timeline. of course there are books and essays to read on top of that. I ended up with a B and A respectively in each course. Don't expect these to be gpa boosters or anything, it's english!

I took these while I was applying to US schools and they were counted as my 1 full-course english requirement.

Would someone be able to comment on whether these courses from Athabasca counted towards the UofA, UBC english requirements?

(I would like to take my missing English Literature course at my regular school and not have to do it online, but I'm not allowed to - they said that only Arts students were allowed to register for those classes, and that they were simply not open to engineering students like me.)

Archived