Premed 101 Forums

grade conversion to amcas

Hi, new user and I had a question that I can't find with the search function. I plan to apply to med schools this summer. I haven't looked through the amcas application process yet as i am waiting to do that after i write my mcat next month. I looked at the thread AMCAS SCALES for Canadian Schools and for example, for the university of toronto, 80-84 would be a 3.7 gpa and a 75-79 would be a 3.3 gpa. does that mean that it doesn't matter if your average is an 80 or an 84, two people with that average converted to amcas would have a 3.7 gpa. Are there any gpas between 3.7 and 3.3 you could get or are those the only ones if your average is between 75-84. Also, when entering your grades when you're applying, do you have to convert them to gpa yourself through the conversion tool on the amcas website or do you just enter your grades from your school and they do it for you? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi, new user and I had a question that I can't find with the search function. I plan to apply to med schools this summer. I haven't looked through the amcas application process yet as i am waiting to do that after i write my mcat next month. I looked at the thread AMCAS SCALES for Canadian Schools and for example, for the university of toronto, 80-84 would be a 3.7 gpa and a 75-79 would be a 3.3 gpa. does that mean that it doesn't matter if your average is an 80 or an 84, two people with that average converted to amcas would have a 3.7 gpa. Are there any gpas between 3.7 and 3.3 you could get or are those the only ones if your average is between 75-84. Also, when entering your grades when you're applying, do you have to convert them to gpa yourself through the conversion tool on the amcas website or do you just enter your grades from your school and they do it for you? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

you can't convert an average to a GPA.

Example:

Student A

Course 1 = 90 = A+ = 4.0

Course 2 = 80 = A- = 3.7

Average: 85, GPA = 3.85

Student B

Course 1 = 85 = A = 4.0

Course 2 = 85 = A = 4.0

Average: 85, GPA = 4.0

So, both students have the same average (85) but they dont have the same GPA. Hence, you cant convert your average directly into GPA. you must convert each individual course into GPA and then average out the GPA. Hence, it is possible to get a GPA between 3.3 and 3.7.

Do you go to UofT? UofT has both percentage and GPA equivalent on their transcripts.

For AMCAS, it is best to enter grades EXACTLY how they appear on your transcript. AMCAS will take care of the rest.

Archived