Premed 101 Forums

How much earlier should I start studying? Taking MCAT summer 2010...

medguy5367

When I take it, I will have taken undergrad courses in bio, chem, organic chem, physics, etc. (Basically everything I need).

However, there will be a few things that were NOT covered in my courses (Eg. the different "systems" in the human body, nervous, muscular, etc.) I will have to study these myself.

Also, it will have been a full two years since I took the chem and physics courses. I learned it well back then, so I'm sure it'll come back fast when I do start reviewing it.

So basically, I am wondering if there is any reason to start studying BEFORE next summer? Is there any benefit to starting THIS early, over a year before?

I am seeking advice from people who have written the MCAT, hopefully both people who did well and people who did bad. I would love to hear what you have to say!

Sorry for the terse response--I was being funny.

Go outside, read cool books, and get involved in some interesting ECs this summer. Don't burn yourself out; save that gunner attitude for school in September.

Start studying for the MCAT at the beginning of next summer and write it at the end of next summer. I did that and it worked out; though, I admit I started running up against burnout near the end.

Hey!

The last thing you want to do is start studying too early. My first try I allowed myself 3 months to study. In this time I finished a few practice exams, went over the EK books, and did some of the EK 101 for VR. By the time I got to the test I was so tired of studying that I eventually started picking random answers instead of thinking hard (especially during the BS, it was a killer section with too much orgo :P).

This summer I studied for around 3-4 weeks. I did the same amount of review, and actually did all the AAMC tests. When I got to the test I felt rested and ready. Plus I didnt waste my whole summer studying for some rediculous test.

All in all though, you know yourself best. Thumb through a MCAT prep book at your library. If it all looks foreign, then youll wanna allow yourself more time. If it looks familiar, and your a quick learner, then feel free to study for less time.

I guess my main advice is:

Shorter but more intense studying worked better for me than longer, less intense periods, which is still way better than cramming.

:P

Hope this helped a bit.

Hey!

The last thing you want to do is start studying too early. My first try I allowed myself 3 months to study. In this time I finished a few practice exams, went over the EK books, and did some of the EK 101 for VR. By the time I got to the test I was so tired of studying that I eventually started picking random answers instead of thinking hard (especially during the BS, it was a killer section with too much orgo :P).

This summer I studied for around 3-4 weeks. I did the same amount of review, and actually did all the AAMC tests. When I got to the test I felt rested and ready. Plus I didnt waste my whole summer studying for some rediculous test.

All in all though, you know yourself best. Thumb through a MCAT prep book at your library. If it all looks foreign, then youll wanna allow yourself more time. If it looks familiar, and your a quick learner, then feel free to study for less time.

I guess my main advice is:

Shorter but more intense studying worked better for me than longer, less intense periods, which is still way better than cramming.

:P

Hope this helped a bit.

I love your advice lol. Makes a lot of sense to me. I've noticed even on a few discussion boards that the students who got 36+ had the same idea that you have. ;)

Archived