Premed 101 Forums

Verified and lab component wasn't counted?

Hi, I just got verified and as a Canadian student my university lists my courses as 0.5 and 1.0 credits (regardless if it has a lab component or not).

So when I was verified each of my credit hours became 3.0 hrs and 6.0 hrs (which does not reflect lab components, which would make my hours 4.0 and 8.0).

Did you guys experience this problem in conversion? What did you do? Take it up with AMCAS or explain to each school?

Thanks!

Hi, I just got verified and as a Canadian student my university lists my courses as 0.5 and 1.0 credits (regardless if it has a lab component or not).

So when I was verified each of my credit hours became 3.0 hrs and 6.0 hrs (which does not reflect lab components, which would make my hours 4.0 and 8.0).

Did you guys experience this problem in conversion? What did you do? Take it up with AMCAS or explain to each school?

Thanks!

Which university is this? UofT?

I would call AMCAS to clarify your application. I initially inputted 3.0 and 6.0 credit hours for my lab courses, but AMCAS changed it to 4.0 and 8.0 when they verified my application.

Which school are you from? I calld AMCAS and they told me to submit an academic change request...

But what about schools that ask for 4.0 or 8.0 credit hours? It looks like I only have 6.0 General chemistry + Lab

I was verified yesterday and I noticed the same...3s and 6s...

I will call AMCAS today...

Will we have to submit ACR for each course? That's gonna suck....

I just called AMCAS and they told me to call schools..

I called MCW and the director told me that most US schools who accept Canadians / Internationals are aware of the funny conversion that AMCAS uses, and they will accept 6.0+Lab as the full 8 hours. So all U of T students - rest easy!

I just called AMCAS and they told me to call schools..

I called MCW and the director told me that most US schools who accept Canadians / Internationals are aware of the funny conversion that AMCAS uses, and they will accept 6.0+Lab as the full 8 hours. So all U of T students - rest easy!

Actually I called AMCAS and the person said that according to the verification formula for UofT....courses with labs should be converted to 4/8 credit hours.

So he asked me to submit ACR.

Remember that this change can affect ur GPA. So it is upto you to bring it up or let it go depending on what effect it will have on ur GPA.

I did not bother to compute this. But I have a feeling it will go down....

But what about schools that ask for 4.0 or 8.0 credit hours? It looks like I only have 6.0 General chemistry + Lab

When I applied, AMCAS simply told me to put down the credit or semester hours as exactly listed in my transcript. Schools are aware of this - especially the Canadian-friendly one's. If you have marked that your course consists of both lecture and lab, then it will satisfy the school's 8 semester hour requirement.

Besides, from what I understand, the AMCAS pdf that you print off is not exactly what is sent to each school. While they can see that you have taken a course that has both lab and lecture components, they cannot see where else you have applied to.

My credits are changed to 4 and 8 from 3 and 6. I submitted ACR and it took 2 days.

Due to this, my cGPA went up 0.02, sGPA by 0.01 and AOGPA by 0.03

Hey musicaldna, I had to submit the ACR as well and was wondering if you knew how they handle sending your new GPA to schools? I've already gotten notice from schools that they have received my app and am skeptical that they'll take into account a new GPA on my account since they likely have thousands of apps to worry about. Any idea?

Hey musicaldna, I had to submit the ACR as well and was wondering if you knew how they handle sending your new GPA to schools? I've already gotten notice from schools that they have received my app and am skeptical that they'll take into account a new GPA on my account since they likely have thousands of apps to worry about. Any idea?

This thought did come to my mind but did not bother to find out. I guess best way would be to call AMCAS. I will do it today if I remember....

This thought did come to my mind but did not bother to find out. I guess best way would be to call AMCAS. I will do it today if I remember....

Thanks for the reply. I suppose if AMCAS doesn't guarantee that schools will notice the new GPAs, it might be a good idea for us to let individual schools know about the change. Unless such small GPA changes don't matter much....

Thanks for the reply. I suppose if AMCAS doesn't guarantee that schools will notice the new GPAs, it might be a good idea for us to let individual schools know about the change. Unless such small GPA changes don't matter much....

Just confirmed with AMCAS. The schools get the updated file so don't have to contact them individually.

Archived