Premed 101 Forums

orgo issue at UTM

Hey, my school (UTM) offers 2 half-credits in orgo, but only the 2nd semester actually has some lab. It's fairly intensive too, at 4h a week, so technically I'm sure I have 8h worth of orgo, but AMCAS credit-hour conversions don't reflect that (since my transcript uses credits, not credit hrs), so it "looks" like I don't have enough lab hours. And I never took biochemistry.

Is this going to be a problem in terms of US full-year orgo lab requirements? I really don't want to have to go back and take biochem with lab or something like that - I'm entering my 5th year!

If this is an issue, shouldn't schools flat out reject someone with lack of prerequisites? Because when I applied to the US last year, I still had quite a few schools hold on to my application right through the spring before rejecting me (pre-interview).

Don't know about the UofT issue, but no school will ever reject you on the basis of prerequisites. Maybe if you hadn't taken ANY science courses it might be suspicious, but really they're just going to skim your prereq grid and ensure that you've taken or are planning on taking most of them.

That's actually good for you, because you can complete your prerequisites at any time while you're applying or even the summer before schools starts. If I were you I'd just make sure you CAN take a lab section next summer, so that if you get accepted to somewhere that doesn't like your transcript, you won't be sceewed.

Don't know about the UofT issue, but no school will ever reject you on the basis of prerequisites. Maybe if you hadn't taken ANY science courses it might be suspicious, but really they're just going to skim your prereq grid and ensure that you've taken or are planning on taking most of them.

That's actually good for you, because you can complete your prerequisites at any time while you're applying or even the summer before schools starts. If I were you I'd just make sure you CAN take a lab section next summer, so that if you get accepted to somewhere that doesn't like your transcript, you won't be sceewed.

That's good to know. Part of me always thought that schools will look for any reason to reject applicants since they receive so many applications...:P

Archived