Premed 101 Forums

AAMC test 9

Ah yes, that Q.

I did it by process of elimination.

You knowfor sure they can both do dipole, van der waals, and covalent. That only leaves H-bonding.

Also, pretty sure the O has to be accessible for H-bonding like it is with EtOH but not with MTBE. Thats my reasoning anyway.

Ah yes, that Q.

I did it by process of elimination.

You knowfor sure they can both do dipole, van der waals, and covalent. That only leaves H-bonding.

Also, pretty sure the O has to be accessible for H-bonding like it is with EtOH but not with MTBE. Thats my reasoning anyway.

Hey guys, forgive me if I am wrong...and I think sparkles is saying what I'm going to say...but here's my clarfification:

the thing to keep in mind wrt H-bonding is that the O, N or F atom MUST be bonded to a H atom itself....in which case, it can H-bond w/ itself..and to H-O-H. However, simply having R-O-R means that the oxygen does not have a H bonded to itself...as such it cannot H bond with itself...

Now, my question is...can water H bond with ethers? the answer is...yes, it can. H-O-H is polarized, and H is delta +'ve as such, it will be attracted to the lone pairs (lps) of the oxygen on the ether.

EDIT:

Oh lol...okay I see the OP's dillema...I should read!! haha will probably help me w/ verbal :P So yeah...to the OP, that q is fked. That's soo odd....I'd do it the way sparkles did it...with POE. and maybe i'd make a note to be extra careful w/ questions of those types.

sorry!! I thought i was helping :$

No, AG22 you're exactly right I think. MTBE can not hydrogen bind because it has an O thats not bound to a H. Only those are able to undergo hydrogen bonding.

Ethers are bent but that has nothing to do with whether hydrogen bonding can occur (at least as I remember)

I think the answer to that question was most likely referring to the 'degree' of H-bonding.. an alcohol can be an h-bond acceptor and donor (in that the H of an alcohol can bind to the O of water, and the O of an alcohol can bind to an H of water) whereas an ether can only be a hydrogen bond acceptor (it's O can bind to the H of water)..

so the IMF for the alcohol wrt h-bonding >>> ether. but in either case, that question is pretty unfair (since both do undergo h-bonding)

Archived