Premed 101 Forums

Work/Activities

Heyguys,

I'm filling out my work/activies portion, and I was wondering whether I could list a 2nd year research project course as a 'Research/Lab experience'. It was counted as a credit and is listed in my transcript, but it was very much so a research/lab position, sort of like a 4th year thesis course. Should I list it?

Heyguys,

I'm filling out my work/activies portion, and I was wondering whether I could list a 2nd year research project course as a 'Research/Lab experience'. It was counted as a credit and is listed in my transcript, but it was very much so a research/lab position, sort of like a 4th year thesis course. Should I list it?

I would list it if you did not have any other things to include in the list....or if you did not have enough other research experience....

Would you list a poster/presentation you will do in a few weeks under work/activities? I have my final presenation of my summer resaerch coming up in 2 weeks, and I don' want to send in something as an update later on...is it okay to say 'will present work at conference in two weeks entitled ****"??

Would you list a poster/presentation you will do in a few weeks under work/activities? I have my final presenation of my summer resaerch coming up in 2 weeks, and I don' want to send in something as an update later on...is it okay to say 'will present work at conference in two weeks entitled ****"??

I combined poster/award with the research experience itself. So in your case, you can just add a line in your description for the Summer Research activity. Not sure if you want to have a separate activity for the poster.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Based on the above discussion, I decided to change my layout. Could you give me your opinion on this? I also have a question regarding 'average hours / week'. In total, 3 questions. Please reply :)

Q1: I have 2 research activities (diff labs), 3 publications, and 2 conference presentations. Should I consolidate my 2 conference presentations with the respective research activity, keep the other research activity separate, and then club the 3 publications as a separate entry? One problem with this layout is the 'average number of hours per week'.

Q2: I mean, how do you have hours / week for a publication or an honour award?

Q3: By consolidating this, I am left with 14 activities. I was thinking I should list one activity I had in high school (volunteered in a Polio Center in India) in my work activities, as I have talked about this in my essay? Do you think I shoudl include this high-school activity, or should I restrict my list to university activities? I'm in a Canadian school, so I am not familiar with AMCAS' requirements. The helpline was not very helpful in this matter.

Thanks for the help! :)

Hey guys,

Based on the above discussion, I decided to change my layout. Could you give me your opinion on this? I also have a question regarding 'average hours / week'. In total, 3 questions. Please reply :)

Q1: I have 2 research activities (diff labs), 3 publications, and 2 conference presentations. Should I consolidate my 2 conference presentations with the respective research activity, keep the other research activity separate, and then club the 3 publications as a separate entry? One problem with this layout is the 'average number of hours per week'.

Q2: I mean, how do you have hours / week for a publication or an honour award?

Q3: By consolidating this, I am left with 14 activities. I was thinking I should list one activity I had in high school (volunteered in a Polio Center in India) in my work activities, as I have talked about this in my essay? Do you think I shoudl include this high-school activity, or should I restrict my list to university activities? I'm in a Canadian school, so I am not familiar with AMCAS' requirements. The helpline was not very helpful in this matter.

Thanks for the help! :)

I can't comment on the first two, but I wouldn't put anything from high school on the list, unless it's something that continued into college. I'm pretty sure that is part of the AMCAS directions..... If it's in your PS, they'll be able to ask you questions about it in interviews if they want.

Thanks a lot!

Also, I was reading a prior post by LizzyM in some other thread. She had said that we can leave hours/week blank for honour awards and publications. I tried leaving them blank, but AMCAS wouldn't let me save it. I guess the alternative is putting it as a "0", and hope that the selection committee understands =P

Do you think they will still notice my publication if I combine it with the research experience/awards that allowed me to write the paper?

Thanks!

You could put it under PUBLICATION and describe your research experience/award under it.

It is clear that publication requires you to have done research but not the other way around.

Or you could put them separately, if you want an Award, Publication and Research. But it just takes more spots for one activity.

Archived