Premed 101 Forums

Dartmouth - prereq courses question

Hello, for Dartmouth medicine, they want one full year (8 semester hours) of bio, orgo, chem and physics, and a half year (3 semester hours) of calculus. Um, is there a typo or something? Isn't a full year course 6 semester hours? If it's 8...I guess I don't satisfy the requirements for orgo and physics, but what the hell? I'd rather not waste my time and money on this secondary if I'm ineligible, but I dunno where the 1 year = 8 semester hours thing is coming from.

Hello, for Dartmouth medicine, they want one full year (8 semester hours) of bio, orgo, chem and physics, and a half year (3 semester hours) of calculus. Um, is there a typo or something? Isn't a full year course 6 semester hours? If it's 8...I guess I don't satisfy the requirements for orgo and physics, but what the hell? I'd rather not waste my time and money on this secondary if I'm ineligible, but I dunno where the 1 year = 8 semester hours thing is coming from.

They want 1 yr WITH LAB...

So a full year course with only lectures is 6 hours but with lab adds 2 more hours and becomes 8 total.

Now for Canadian schools I think there are two cases:

1) If your AMCAS says 3 and 6 hours, and NOT 4 and 8 for course with labs, according to what I read on the forums, it may be fine since schools in the states know that they were with lab.

2) For some people like me, they were originally 3 and 6 but I submitted Academic Change Request to change them to 4 and 8.

In short, if the courses you took were full year and had lab component, you will be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived