Premed 101 Forums

GPA calculations

Hi guys,

I have recently started to look into the option of American medical schools. In another thread, I read that the American schools take all the courses done for the undergrad degree, including summer courses - Is that true for all the schools in US? Also, how are the repeated courses taken into consideration?

Can someone also give me an explanation on how I can calculate my own GPA (which is originally calculated on a 9.0 scale at my school) in terms of determining it for the med school admissions. (I have read the thread with the GPA conversions information but I am still kind of confused :confused: . If you could provide an example, that would be great).

Thanks a lot.

AMCAS takes a look at all coursework regardless of when taken. Even college coursework is taken into consideration if you have done any. I can't speak of how repeated courses are looked at. Each school likely has their own method of analyzing that.

For conversion, http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2010conversionguide.pdf looks like it says:

9 = 4.0

8 = 3.7

7 = 3.3

6 = 2.7

5 = 2.3

4 = 1.7

3 = 1.3

1, 2 = 0

To calculate your GPA, go into Excel, make a list of the converted grades. Multiply the grade point by the credit hours ie 4.0 x 3 credit hours. Add up all the multiples, and divide by the total amount of credit hours taken. That will give you your GPA

I am looking at the conversion tables there but the way my school calculates GPA does not perfectly fit any one of the those grading system conversions. My school does not have A-, B- etc.

From the first conversion table, I am getting a sense that both A and A+ is a 4.0 but for a C+, I thought it was a 2.7 and not a 2.3 since we do not have B- in our grading system???:confused:

Archived