Premed 101 Forums

Prereq - orgo???

Hi guys,

Just wanted to know if organic chemistry is a definite prerequisite to get into medical school in the US. Am I really limiting my options by not taking it?

I know it is helpful to prepare for the MCAT and that's why I plan on studying the organic chem part on my own but don't really want to take the risk with the GPA by actually taking the course. Please advise on what I should do.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to know if organic chemistry is a definite prerequisite to get into medical school in the US. Am I really limiting my options by not taking it?

I know it is helpful to prepare for the MCAT and that's why I plan on studying the organic chem part on my own but don't really want to take the risk with the GPA by actually taking the course. Please advise on what I should do.

Most schools require a full year of orgo with lab. I can't personally comment since I haven't gone to interviews yet, but I've read many times that a lot of emphasis is placed on how well a student does in these classes. Personally, I would take at least one semester prior to applying. It can't look good to be missing multiple pre-reqs (a lot of people are also missing a year of english while applying). $0.02.

Archived