Premed 101 Forums

Comparing U.S. vs Canadian Health Care

Hopefully interviews will be rolling in soon for most of us. I know that one major discussion point in interviews will be Canadian vs. American health care. With that in mind, I found this editorial today in the globe. There are up to date numbers and the guy makes an interesting argument.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/the-true-measure-of-cross-border-health/article1232897/

Hopefully interviews will be rolling in soon for most of us. I know that one major discussion point in interviews will be Canadian vs. American health care. With that in mind, I found this editorial today in the globe. There are up to date numbers and the guy makes an interesting argument.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/the-true-measure-of-cross-border-health/article1232897/

Yes, it certainly is an "agree to disagree" debate. Have a good understanding of both systems going into your interviews and be able to formulate snazzy answers in advance ;)

The G & M article refers to most of us in Canada happy to recommend our family physician to friends. What is a family physician? I am unable to find one. Oh, I can go to a clinic, register and wait but no family physicians in my city will take on new patients. Need a derm referral, wait for 6 months. But, it you are from overseas and will pay "cash-cash" this same Dr. who is booked for the next 6 months, will see this new patient within 15 minutes of arrival and without an appointment. And if you are poor, live in a rural area or on a reservation and have a very serious medical problem, good luck getting help, getting to a place where you can find medical help in a timely manner.

I do know that if I have a medical problem in the USA, so long as it is an emergency, the nearest hospital, any hospital, must treat me whether I have the money or not, whether they ever will collect or not.

We have our share of problems in healthcare in Canada and hopefully, many of us will make our contributions to help solve some of these problems in the future.

The G & M article refers to most of us in Canada happy to recommend our family physician to friends. What is a family physician? I am unable to find one. Oh, I can go to a clinic, register and wait but no family physicians in my city will take on new patients. Need a derm referral, wait for 6 months. But, it you are from overseas and will pay "cash-cash" this same Dr. who is booked for the next 6 months, will see this new patient within 15 minutes of arrival and without an appointment. And if you are poor, live in a rural area or on a reservation and have a very serious medical problem, good luck getting help, getting to a place where you can find medical help in a timely manner.

I do know that if I have a medical problem in the USA, so long as it is an emergency, the nearest hospital, any hospital, must treat me whether I have the money or not, whether they ever will collect or not.

We have our share of problems in healthcare in Canada and hopefully, many of us will make our contributions to help solve some of these problems in the future.

Hear Hear! I agree with you on many points. I grew up in rural MB and my last family physician left to Calgary when I was really young. One of the biggest problems of the area is that physician recruitment is built a lot out of foreign (especially S. African physicians) who tend to not stay a very long time before moving on (service agreements perhaps?). Now that I live in TO I find it extremely frustrating that I have to go to walk in clinics to doctors who see you for as little time as they can afford. Its terrible medicine.

I do have to say in some cases though our system can work. My uncle recently had biopsies in my town, then in Wpg of his stomach. It was determined that he had cancer. Within a short period of time, he had an operation to remove 2/3 of his stomach. The system can work.

The biggest positive I can see out of US medicine is that if you can afford it, you can get it. US spends more per capita on medicine and has the extra income from private insurance and out of pocket. This allows for reduced wait times, increases physician retention, and better diagnostic and treatment options. Obviously the big drawback is those who don't have coverage are left in the dark.

I suggest taking a watch of Sicko half heartedly. It'll give you a "base". Obviously your own personal experience and a little self research of the two will definitely build on the concepts and will reveal some flaws in both systems.

Archived