Premed 101 Forums

July 30th Exam thoughts?

kiron

I'm not sure if the exams are the same across North America, but if so, but I for some reason think bio was really difficult with all the gene and DNA questions.

Also some physics questions. These are NOT from the actual MCAT, a practice one my friend made up.

a ball is rolling down an frictionless (assumed) incline with speed v and then travels across frictonless horizontal table and then off the table falling on the ground. Which of the following would affect the time to fall to the ground?

a) v (exponent 0)

B) v (exponent 1)

c) v (exponent 2)

d) 1/v

a series circuit

V (battery)-------R1----R2----l

l------------------------------l

what is the voltage across R2 in turns of V, R2, and R1?

Umm.... that is not a question your friend "made up." Just saying. Didn't you sign a nondisclosure agreement?

I thought it was okay. PS, I never really know... I managed to work through most questions, which is pretty good for me. The passages in VR were easy to understand but the questions were tough. The WS prompts were fairly straightforward (no politics, phew). BS - yes, harder than I expected, as you said. Too much orgo and biochem, not enough straight up biology. I don't think I will do as well as I could have in that section.

I wrote in at the holiday inn in Calgary and we had 2 fire alarms (were evacuated once):( :( :(

I lost around 3/4 minutes on the bio sci section. Do you what the procedure is when something like this occurs? Our Prometric coordinator told us to call AMMC tomorrow and ***** at them. Would you know if they would reschedule the test or do anything?

About the test...

I was rushed with the Physical Sciences at the end (was thrown off with that last passage)

Verbal was tough for me, i didn't get some of the passages

Biology was the okay

I'm not sure if the exams are the same across North America, but if so, but I for some reason think bio was really difficult with all the gene and DNA questions.

Also some physics questions. These are NOT from the actual MCAT, a practice one my friend made up.

a ball is rolling down an frictionless (assumed) incline with speed v and then travels across frictonless horizontal table and then off the table falling on the ground. Which of the following would affect the time to fall to the ground?

a) v (exponent 0)

B) v (exponent 1)

c) v (exponent 2)

d) 1/v

a series circuit

V (battery)-------R1----R2----l

l------------------------------l

what is the voltage across R2 in turns of V, R2, and R1?

Those are actual questions and somebody (you) is breaking the code of conduct. Please don't use the 'friend' excuse to help in your own self gratification

Uhh..for the first question, I really don't understand the answer choices. I'm pretty sure the time is only dependent on the height of the table though (since there is no initial velocity in the y-direction). I'd pick choice A, if anything.

For the second question:

R1+R2 = V/I

R1+R2 = V/(V2/R2)

R1+R2 = V*R2/V2

V2 = V*R2/(R1+R2)

You signed a code of conduct. You shouldn't be posting this

yeah i could have done without the fire alarm during WS and then the 8 min fire alarm during BS. Totally screwed me because i was on an experimental passage that required serious concentration.... anyone else ever had MCAT teting go awry...

im ****in pissed... 3 months of studying ruined because of some third rate chef cant cook ****in bacon.

yeah i could have done without the fire alarm during WS and then the 8 min fire alarm during BS. Totally screwed me because i was on an experimental passage that required serious concentration.... anyone else ever had MCAT teting go awry...

im ****in pissed... 3 months of studying ruined because of some third rate chef cant cook ****in bacon.

I know it sucks man.....did u write in Calgary

My thoughts? The environment was excellent. Better computers than I thought. Complementary ear plugs were also a plus.

The test: VR was boring... almost fell asleep in the middle of it. Yes the questions are pretty tough.

BS: wasn't too bad was it? I had a bit problem with Orgo but the genetics ones wasn't too bad at all.

I wrote in Edmonton by the way.

I'll be EXTREMELY happy with a 10 on VR. Fingers crossed.

Are you going to call AAMC? I am and hopefully something can be done.

I am disappointed - i didn't get time to finish physical sciences on time which i usually finish leisurely during pratice tests :(. Ended up guessing on two passages or so. i am hoping i can somehow pull of a 10. Verbal - I don't even know what happened - no comments! Bio was somewhat ok. I really really hope i don't have to write another time.

I am sorry to hear about the fire alarm guys - AAMC should have some sort of accomodation for this.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote in Edmonton. I thought it was a pretty decent environment, the administrators were really nice and helpful (made the whole experience that little bit less stressful). I only have 2 complaints: 1) the test centre was a little on the warm side and 2) the bathrooms were a ridiculously far ways away from where we were writing. haha... that might seem minor, but with only 10 minute breaks... lol

As for the test itself, I thought the Physical Sciences section was longer than I anticipated (time-wise reading the passages and doing the math for the questions). On all my practice tests I was done with about 20 minutes to spare, but I was going right until the last couple of minutes (I would have liked more time to double check stuff though).

The Verbal Reasoning... for me is up in the air. I could do awesome and get like a 12 or I could do horrible and get like a 6. It could really be anywhere. I found it hard to read and focus on the computer screen. Also the passages seemed a lot longer than any of the practice I did. If I have to take the MCAT again (please God no!) I think I'm going to practice reading on a computer screen more.

The Writing Sample I thought was the best part of the exam for me. Going through the sample prompts on AAMC, there were a lot I had no "exception" for, so I was glad there were 2 on the actual test that I had no problem answering.

The Biological Sciences I thought was actually pretty fair as far as difficulty of questions. Some were really easy, and others were more difficult, but it was definitly fair.

I'm so glad to be done though! Now I can have a summer (when the weather isn't as nice) besides getting all the applications done of course!

Archived