Premed 101 Forums

Becoming a prep course instructor

Rar

How well do you have to do on the test to become an instructor? I've heard the hourly pay is amazing.

90th percentile for Kaplan, its like a 33. probably about the same for the others. And honestly, no, the pays are not amazing.

- Kaplan has a brutally low teaching wage (about $20/hour, but they pay you $10/hour for prep which is nice and easy money)

- princeton review pays like 30/hour i believe but doesnt pay you for prep which sucks.

while you may THINK these are awesome pays for a student (and yes I thought that too) for the amount of sh**** that you have to deal with from students, its not worth it (premed kids are annoyingly high maintenance).

...tutoring is a far better call.

Just so you know, Princeton pays $23/hour for teaching and $9.50/hour for prep.

Not sure how well you have to do, but I'd say at least a 12 in the subject you want to teach (this is an estimate).

Oh. I've been misinformed, that's pretty much the same as Kaplan. Actually, I think that might be better by a few bucks on the teaching rate... damn.

I can tell you who I found to be as my teacher and for free - me.

I wasted thousands for Kaplan. Luckily, I found them useless from the first 2 classes and did not return again. It was a waste of money and more importantly, my time.

SAME HERE! I still get harrassed about the classes though - the instructors, to me, were useless!!

How well do you have to do on the test to become an instructor? I've heard the hourly pay is amazing.

My instructor had 12/12/13 and I don't think the pay is that amazing. He mentioned it before, ~$25 / hour plus prep-time. The pay might depend a bit on where you are located. There's better paying jobs out there.

$25/hr is good pay in these times.

And yes there might be better paying jobs,but becoming a prep teacher is realllyyyy flexible for most students who only have evenings/weekends free --when these classes are. Also, it's not super hard to just stand there and lecture the prep material.

I think it'd be a cushy job to get.

Archived