Premed 101 Forums

Aecom

when they ask whether you have applied to medical schools previously, should we tell them about our application to canadian schools the previous year? and for the letters of recommendation, i'm confused as to what option to select..my school has a career's services but i still opted to send individual letters..but that's not an option! :confused: and also..should we still check the box that says letters will be uploaded to amcas through the letter service application even if my letters were MAILED to amcas??? why did they make it sound so confusing :(

personal advice from me - don't tell them you applied to canadian schools and if you can don't tell them you are currently either.

:( too late..i decided to put it in just in case they look at my aamc records and see that i released my scores to omsas..maybe i won't do this for mount sinai

personal advice from me - don't tell them you applied to canadian schools and if you can don't tell them you are currently either.

I was really wondering about this too...

I can see why one might want to avoid telling them about applying to Canadian schools. I definitely see the disadvantage of setting myself up for a "why the hell do you want to pay 5X as much to go a US school over Canadian" discussion during a US interview. It's tough to come up with a totally convincing answer to that question.

But at the same time, I feel that will be a question asked of us ANYWAYS since we are Canadians applying to the US - regardless of whether we bring it up or not. And if we are dishonest and tell them we aren't even bothering applying to Canadian schools, it might raise even more difficult questions among discerning adcom members (i.e. don't you have any desire to stay in your home country w family/friends/etc? don't you want to at least have the option for a cheaper financial choice?)

I'm really wondering how some of the folks who had successful US interviews last year played this situation.

Don't lie...just don't volunteer the information unless it's asked for.

There is a massive stigma against re-applicants in the US, and a lot of adcoms may not realize that even strong applicants often get rejected in Canada the first time. That's more important than the "why the US?" issue. If you can't come up with a convincing answer for that you probably shouldn't be applying, lol.

Crap. I totally missed the part about submitting a copy of my passport. But I'm still marked as "complete" because I got the email and it gives me my completion date. I guess I have to call them. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Nevermind. Total fail. :o

you were marked complete before you sent your passport?

I'm still not complete and I submitted the first day the app came out. Not sure whats going on.

did u guys get an email notification after submitting the passport picture?

Yes. Although, as I previously stated somewhere in this thread, it took 3 weeks for them to email me to tell me I was "complete" after submitting my passport photo.:(

I got an email that said: "You have successfully completed the Secondary Application." But that doesn't mean its marked as "complete" I guess.

You will get a separate email with the title "Application Complete" and saying....

We are happy to inform you that your application to the Albert Einstein College of Medicine is complete, and will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.

You will get a separate email with the title "Application Complete" and saying....

We are happy to inform you that your application to the Albert Einstein College of Medicine is complete, and will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.

I got a "Thanks!" as a reply to my passport email. But before that I got a "You have successfully completed the Secondary Application" a few weeks ago.:confused:

Archived