Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Stress

mhc7795

Hi everyone. I have just signed up to this website because I have found out more information about the MCAT here than any other given site I have been on.

To begin with, I am going to be a freshman at a university in the fall and I'm already feeling the stress of the MCAT taking its toll on me. (Please try to refrain from laughing at me. lol). I know some of you are probably wondering why I am even stumbling upon forums like these, but it's true. I am "prepping" for the MCAT by reading the threads here and getting all the necessary prep material I will potentially need.

Here is the prep material I have so far: The ExamKrackers MCAT Complete Study Package, ExamKrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning Book, and ExamKrackers Audio Osmosis. I'm not actually favoring one test prep brand over another like Kaplan, but these are what I currently have. I also have read that the physics and verbal reasoning is inefficient in the ExamKrackers MCAT Complete Package, so I will need some help on picking alternative test prep materials for replacing those.

I don't have much information about the AAMC either, but I know that I will eventually purchase those practice test later on. Those I should definitely purchase as part of my study plan, right?

What are some clubs that I should join that will reveal to the medical school admission officers that I am legitimately interested in the medical field and will ultimately make my transcript look golden?

Thank you everyone and I hope to see you again soon.

Hi everyone. I have just signed up to this website because I have found out more information about the MCAT here than any other given site I have been on.

To begin with, I am going to be a freshman at a university in the fall and I'm already feeling the stress of the MCAT taking its toll on me. (Please try to refrain from laughing at me. lol). I know some of you are probably wondering why I am even stumbling upon forums like these, but it's true. I am "prepping" for the MCAT by reading the threads here and getting all the necessary prep material I will potentially need.

Here is the prep material I have so far: The ExamKrackers MCAT Complete Study Package, ExamKrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning Book, and ExamKrackers Audio Osmosis. I'm not actually favoring one test prep brand over another like Kaplan, but these are what I currently have. I also have read that the physics and verbal reasoning is inefficient in the ExamKrackers MCAT Complete Package, so I will need some help on picking alternative test prep materials for replacing those.

I don't have much information about the AAMC either, but I know that I will eventually purchase those practice test later on. Those I should definitely purchase as part of my study plan, right?

What are some clubs that I should join that will reveal to the medical school admission officers that I am legitimately interested in the medical field and will ultimately make my transcript look golden?

Thank you everyone and I hope to see you again soon.

You are stressed because you are trying to jump ahead of the pack by getting a headstart. You still have 2, if not 3, full years to write the MCAT. Yet this kick start is rather useless, even counterproductive. The material is - quite simply - out of your grasp at this point in your education and academic career. Most of the MCAT material is covered in courses (for science students) in the undergraduate program and when MCAT writing time does come around, you will have a strong foundation that you can supplement with exam prep books.

There is no reason to stress this early in your career. You are thinking way too long-term and, at this rate, are definitely going to miss out on the best time of your life as an undergraduate student. And for what? Nothing. Because you are too young for the game at this point. Worry about your GPA and ECs at this point. And by worry, I just mean do well and keep active. Not vomit, palpitations and panic attacks.

And there is no EC that will reveal your passion for medicine ( nor can I understand how one would be so passionate about a field they know little about... but who am I to judge). There are no ECs that will make you look like a perfect candidate. Autobiographical sketches are a complex culmination of your activity - ultimately, adcom looks for longevity and cohesiveness of ECs in your application. The absence of both suggests application padding, rather the pursuit of endeavours you feel strongly about. Thus, do what you like to do.

All in all, you need to shift focus off the MCAT. I spent 3 weeks studying for my test and did okay (39Q - paper version). At this rate, you plan on studying for at least two years for a test that is "study-friendly" and quite frankly, a joke these days. Enjoy the rare combination of immaturity and independence early on in undergraduate. There will never be an experience like it again.

You know...1234 is right...stop panicking.

The "best" time to write the MCAT is the summer right after you've taken all those first level university courses for prep (if you are going to take them)--physics, chem, org chem, bio, and preferably a writing composition course.

Take EC's and volunteer in places that appeal to you. Trust me, it'll show if you don't enjoy it...and it won't look good! There are no cookie-cutter students--everyone has different backgrounds and performs different types of EC's. There are students who have a lot of sports and martial arts listed, there are others who work as paramedics, those who volunteer in soup kitchens, there are others who fund-raise for charities...and there are some that flip burgers at McDonald's! You have to know yourself and sell yourself--just as with any job.

If you really wanna get stressed out check out how the MCAT is belled.

Pretty much to even be considered by medschools you need a balanced 30+, which is equivalent to about the 80th percentile. Meaning that for every 10 tests that are written, 8 of them will be thrown out in Canadian schools.

Best of luck, write early, write often.

If you really wanna get stressed out check out how the MCAT is belled.

Pretty much to even be considered by medschools you need a balanced 30+, which is equivalent to about the 80th percentile. Meaning that for every 10 tests that are written, 8 of them will be thrown out in Canadian schools.

Best of luck, write early, write often.

Lol. No tip-toeing around with AdamP.

...and preferably a writing composition course.

That is an area I need assistance in because English is my second language. I lack fluent writing skills and a large vocabulary, but I am trying to improve by buying books that teach how to be an effective writer. Do you guys have any special recommendations such as books or websites that if I soak in enough, that my writing skills will get better? I am open to any suggestions. Thank you to everyone who replied and I am going to take in all your advice.

That is an area I need assistance in because English is my second language. I lack fluent writing skills and a large vocabulary, but I am trying to improve by buying books that teach how to be an effective writer. Do you guys have any special recommendations such as books or websites that if I soak in enough, that my writing skills will get better? I am open to any suggestions. Thank you to everyone who replied and I am going to take in all your advice.

The best way is to just write essays and have other people critique them.

Wouldn't I need a stong foundation of the English language to write a well thought-up essay?

Are you offering help on critiquing an essay if I were to write one?

My goodness, I think people on here would happily help you critique. I caution any postings though--pm people after you seek their permission.

You seem to have a handle on English--taking a composition course will help with grammar and syntax.

If you have problems with english, take uni. level english courses. What sounds like academic suicide will pay back BIG TIME when you cruise through the MCAT VR and essay sections while your pure science peers fail. :)

Other than that I say the ideal time to take the MCAT is summer after 2nd year. That should give you enough time to take the proper bio, physics, chem/ochem and possibly english courses. And I shall contradict many on the forum by saying the bio in the MCAT is definitely more than first year level. When you need to know the the myriad of endocrine pathways I'd say that qualifies as 2nd year bio at least.

If you have problems with english, take uni. level english courses. What sounds like academic suicide will pay back BIG TIME when you cruise through the MCAT VR and essay sections while your pure science peers fail. :)

Other than that I say the ideal time to take the MCAT is summer after 2nd year. That should give you enough time to take the proper bio, physics, chem/ochem and possibly english courses. And I shall contradict many on the forum by saying the bio in the MCAT is definitely more than first year level. When you need to know the the myriad of endocrine pathways I'd say that qualifies as 2nd year bio at least.

Yea, I agree--and don't tell anyone that not taking chemistry courses shouldn't hinder you. While it is a thinking test, you can end up spending a lot of time wafting through the chemical jargon in passages.

Most people I have came in contact with usually said that they plan to take the MCAT in the summer after Junior year, but I guess it really depends on how each university functions?

How are the university level English courses different from the high school courses? It is obviously the level of difficulty, but what is being taught in the college level courses that were not taught in high school courses? When I was given in-class essays to write in high school, I usually didn't have any idea of what to write about or that my ideas are usually very limited, meaning I can list a handful of examples and then I would be stuck. Also, I am terrible at writing thesis statements. I guess university's the time to "re-learn" the English language, right?

Most people I have came in contact with usually said that they plan to take the MCAT in the summer after Junior year, but I guess it really depends on how each university functions?

How are the university level English courses different from the high school courses? It is obviously the level of difficulty, but what is being taught in the college level courses that were not taught in high school courses? When I was given in-class essays to write in high school, I usually didn't have any idea of what to write about or that my ideas are usually very limited, meaning I can list a handful of examples and then I would be stuck. Also, I am terrible at writing thesis statements. I guess university's the time to "re-learn" the English language, right?

English at a university level (IMO) is a lot better than at high school level. There is a higher level of standard and you'll catch on to ideas quicker because of the practice.

How are the university level English courses different from the high school courses? It is obviously the level of difficulty, but what is being taught in the college level courses that were not taught in high school courses? ... I guess university's the time to "re-learn" the English language, right?

High school English is nothing compared to university-level English. There's a much higher degree of thought and structure. There's nothing to re-learn, just a higher level of mastery of the basics.

High school English is nothing compared to university-level English. There's a much higher degree of thought and structure. There's nothing to re-learn, just a higher level of mastery of the basics.

So university-level English teaches a higher level of the basics that were taught in high school? In high school, our English teachers were so lazy and there wasn't actually any time dedicated to writing essays.. just reading novels like Crime and Punishment, The Crucible, etc. I really hope that I get to master the English language and be able to write top-notch essays by the time of writing the MCAT.

So university-level English teaches a higher level of the basics that were taught in high school? In high school, our English teachers were so lazy and there wasn't actually any time dedicated to writing essays.. just reading novels like Crime and Punishment, The Crucible, etc. I really hope that I get to master the English language and be able to write top-notch essays by the time of writing the MCAT.

Actually, they may not "teach" you a whole lot about grammar but just require you to own a grammar text book and figure it out on your own. They may teach you other things...fancier things.

I love university composition courses...just spend the time at it and it's an easy A+.

Actually, they may not "teach" you a whole lot about grammar but just require you to own a grammar text book and figure it out on your own. They may teach you other things...fancier things.

I love university composition courses...just spend the time at it and it's an easy A+.

wow, at least your school gave out A+ , at my university, most sections in the English department said "I don't normally give out A, except maybe once a few years ago if your paper is truly exceptional". And really, no one actually got an A that year. I worked days on my essays and I only ended up with a bloody B-.

fyi, if your professor/teacher ever says something like that, or even hint at it, drop it right away if you can!

wow, at least your school gave out A+ , at my university, most sections in the English department said "I don't normally give out A, except maybe once a few years ago if your paper is truly exceptional". And really, no one actually got an A that year. I worked days on my essays and I only ended up with a bloody B-.

fyi, if your professor/teacher ever says something like that, or even hint at it, drop it right away if you can!

Yeah, that's a load of bull****...of course there's room for improvement, but if they cannot find any grammatical errors in a paper then you deserve an A to an A+.

I've taken classes at SMU & MUN.

Yeah, we will be receiving textbooks/workbooks for the English course, but we actually take the course online, meaning that the professor might make his lectures online or whatnot. Nevertheless, I am going to drop by every so often and get some personal assistance with my writing. I like fancy vocabulary. :)

Archived