Premed 101 Forums

Chance of Repeat of Practice AAMC WS Prompts on real MCAT

Rar

Just wondering what the likelihood is that a WS prompt that is on an AAMC practice test will actually show up on the real MCAT. If its close to zero, should I just choose two random prompts from the list to do during the WS rather than doing the ones on the test?

I believe you are referring to the actual AAMC practice tests (I think there around 8) WS prompts. In that case, the chance that the actual prompt will show up on MCAT test day is pretty slim. It is more likely that you will get a prompt from a prompt category from one of the practice tests.

The general rule of thumb is that if you are well prepared for most of the prompts on the AAMC list that they provide then you will be prepared for anything they give you on test day. Although you won't see them verbatim, you will often find closely related prompts on test day.

Hope that helps.

-MCAT Strategy

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard before (from other people) that sample prompts from the AAMC's website have been used on the real MCAT.

If you have the time to go through all 100+ sample prompts listed, then you are bound to encounter it on the real exam (if not, then something 'new' but similar). However, after a while, you'll realize that the themes - politics, education, arts, history, technology, morals, values, etc. - become redundant and obvious, and you'll have already 'developed a standard response' for most of them.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived