Premed 101 Forums

Arriving Early on the afternoon sittings

Prion

How early can you get your test started if your official time is at 2 PM? I heard stories of people arriving 2 hours early and starting their test wayyy early. I don't want to do my verbal while some keeners are typing away on the keyboard. Does anyone know if Willis College(younge and lawerence) stagger their start times?

I honestly don't know about Willis College, but when I wrote it at 2 pm, I came about 1 hour early. The AAMC staff there said that we could get all the registration done earlier so that we can start as soon as 1:30 pm. They also said that they aren't allowed to start it any earlier than 30 minutes before the official time.

It's funny how so many of us also think about doing the verbal while everyone else is typing away on the writing samples.

Conclusion: Yes the mcat staggers its time. Get there early!

i wrote at willis last week and i got there at like 12:45 for 2 pm test and i thought i would be early but there were a lot of people there already. When you get there you "pre-register" and they give a sticky note that says your room number (A,B,C,D) and a number. The number determines what order you'll be called to go in and start your test. I was number 5 for my room just to give you an example and I got there an hour n a bit early so you can gauge from there.

Good luck!

i wrote at willis last week and i got there at like 12:45 for 2 pm test and i thought i would be early but there were a lot of people there already. When you get there you "pre-register" and they give a sticky note that says your room number (A,B,C,D) and a number. The number determines what order you'll be called to go in and start your test. I was number 5 for my room just to give you an example and I got there an hour n a bit early so you can gauge from there.

Good luck!

Were a lot of the ppl there from the morning session or just waiting to get started? Assuming this is the willis college at young/lawrence, I think they have a morning session as well. So the people started at 8 am might be finished or taking their break around the time you arrived no?

So did you find it distracting when the 4 ppl in front of you were typing on WS while you were in verbal?

Appreciate the comments:D

Good luck!

Hey, what was the set-up like at Willis College? i.e. how many people to a room? Did they provide you w/ ear plugs? Were there lockers for you to store your stuff? Were you allowed wristwatches to time your 10 min breaks accordingly etc etc. Appreciate it!

to be honest i wasnt wearing a watch and i cant really remember if other people were either but the breaks arent enforced meaning that on your computer even if the ten minute break has ended the next section wont start until u click to start it. So you can easily take like longer breaks than 10 minutes and dont have to worry about getting back in time.

They give you a half locker with a lock so you can put your stuff away. As for earplugs they say before hand that they need to be in original packaging but I forgot to buy some and just happened to have a pair in my school bag and they let me use those. They also provided earmuffs that were just on your table beside the computer...wen i was doin verbal there were couple people typing so i wore my soft earplugs as well as the muffs and i couldnt hear a thing lol so thats a good idea you might want to try out!

There's like 10-15 a room id say and theres dividers between the computers so you're pretty much in a cubicle.

..wen i was doin verbal there were couple people typing so i wore my soft earplugs as well as the muffs and i couldnt hear a thing lol so thats a good idea you might want to try out!

I had that exact same idea too! I noticed those large aviator-style headphones actually seem to AMPLIFY the typing sounds, and so I'm gonna double it up with soft earplugs and the large headphones for my September re-write. Glad to hear that it will actually cancel out all noise. :)

to be honest i wasnt wearing a watch and i cant really remember if other people were either but the breaks arent enforced meaning that on your computer even if the ten minute break has ended the next section wont start until u click to start it. So you can easily take like longer breaks than 10 minutes and dont have to worry about getting back in time.

They give you a half locker with a lock so you can put your stuff away. As for earplugs they say before hand that they need to be in original packaging but I forgot to buy some and just happened to have a pair in my school bag and they let me use those. They also provided earmuffs that were just on your table beside the computer...wen i was doin verbal there were couple people typing so i wore my soft earplugs as well as the muffs and i couldnt hear a thing lol so thats a good idea you might want to try out!

There's like 10-15 a room id say and theres dividers between the computers so you're pretty much in a cubicle.

Thanks! Good to know about the cubicles. I don't like watching other test takers haha.

Archived