Premed 101 Forums

SMP or Grads

I have a feeling that this application cycle will not be too great for me seeing I already have two rejections and no interviews. I've started thinking about backup plans. I was wondering if going the SMP route would be better/worse than doing a Masters in a Canadian university. Have any applicants here thought about this issue or have any information. I would love to hear your thoughts.

I have a feeling that this application cycle will not be too great for me seeing I already have two rejections and no interviews. I've started thinking about backup plans. I was wondering if going the SMP route would be better/worse than doing a Masters in a Canadian university. Have any applicants here thought about this issue or have any information. I would love to hear your thoughts.

I know someone who interviewed at few places last year but could not make it in and then decided to do SMP in the states...

It will definitely increases your chances of getting in , especially at the school where you do SMP.

But there is a big difference between doing a research-based Master's here and doing SMP there. I believe that SMP is fully course-based, just like undergrad. It depends on what you like....

I think it really depends on a) what your undergrad GPA is like and B) if you would rather attend an American or a Canadian med school.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think people enroll in SMPs because American med schools see it as a complement to your undergrad program and GPA. So if you're out of undergrad, your GPA stinks and you really want to get into NYU - enroll in a one-year SMP, destroy your classes and get a crazy GPA. I think many American schools will consider your SMP GPA in combination with your undergrad GPA. I don't know if this is done in Canadian schools or not....

If you want to ultimately get into a Can med school, I would enroll in the masters. Many Canadian med schools evaluate grad packages and give extra consideration to your application if you are finishing up a M.Sc. Also, they will consider your grad GPA IN ADDITION to your undergrad GPA with the understanding that graduate school is more difficult than undergrad (thus a lower GPA is more acceptable).

I'm not 100% sure on the details, but I think if you are set on getting into an American med school, the SMP is a better option.

Anyways, good luck with the rest of this cycle, its still really early, something will come up for you.

I have a feeling that this application cycle will not be too great for me seeing I already have two rejections and no interviews.

Being rejected by BU doesn't count. If the other school is Mayo or something stupid that doesn't count either.

It's still really early.

When did you get rejected by Vandy? And when was your AMCAS verified there?

This means I should be getting the first rejection sometime soon....

i got the letter today, it was postmarked august 12, i was verified june 26th (ish)

i'm pretty sure my stats were lacking, you guys should do fine at schools like vandy.

i got the letter today, it was postmarked august 12, i was verified june 26th (ish)

i'm pretty sure my stats were lacking, you guys should do fine at schools like vandy.

wrong assumption!

i was verified July 20th...so mine will take a while...I will ask my dad to keep an eye for a rejection letter sometime in early September...

Rejections by BU, Mayo (applied just for the heck of it), Vandy (pre secondary), EVMS (pre S) and hold at GWU... but well gotta keep positive.. it's gonna be a long year

so as others said.. hang in there.. it's still early

but like you i will probably start looking at grad school as a backup. i will see when to book a GRE exam.

Archived