Premed 101 Forums

Lor

tekken3

is it better to have a two academic + NON-academic reference (volunteer) or TWO academic ref + ONE research reference ?

Many schools require 3 academic letters... 2 science, 1 non-science. I would def choose the research reference over a volunteer one though.

Yeah but almost every applicant has some volunteer EC so it doesn't really make you stand out. Most volunteer coordinators have really limited knowledge of you as a person so unless you are particularly close to your volunteer person I think that LOR would be pretty useless.... Just send them all in but watch out for schools that have the specific 2 science, 1 non-science lor requirement.

ETA: tried to edit and quote spiderpig but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to quote through the edit screen.:o

My advice is to get all of them, as long as each letter can offer something distinct. Many schools in the US do NOT have an upper limit on the number of LORs and many have a maximum of 6. Most times you will need at least 2 science and 1 non-science (as Rach said), but it's also good to have research and volunteering on the side.

Archived